People who work in an office setting - let's band together!

Options
I don't know about you all, but working in an office sometimes feels like a set up for failure where keeping your diet in line is concerned. I don't know about you all, but in my office people are constantly bringing in lunch, we have someone who brings in a Portillo's chocolate cake about once a week, bagels, candy, you name it! It's hard to resist the temptation. I'd love to create a support group for people trying to resist temptation in the office! Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• shinderella27
    shinderella27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yessss. Definitely! My office seems to have cake, cupcakes, donuts, and other pastries at least 2~3x a week!
  • duffboysmom
    duffboysmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well! People in the Marketing department always have pastries or cupcakes ordered. My small department (3 people including me) have Ice Cream Sundae Friday. People are always bringing in donuts. And don't get me started about the vending machines on each floor!!! I am doing a Keto diet, but I LOVE CARBS and it is so hard to resist when it is paraded in front of you!
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also find myself more focused on snacking at my computer during the day.
  • bnicoletti22
    bnicoletti22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @triciale555 I have the same issue! I have started scheduling my snack times so I get excited when one is coming up, and then I have a healthy snack ready for me. It helps some days, but others I end up thinking about how hungry I am.
  • Vicki66C
    Vicki66C Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yes, huge problem for me too!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :smile:
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I became the office germaphobe. One day I started watching my coworkers around the food that was out. Problem of office food solved.
  • Averagechick2015
    Averagechick2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i work in an office type environment and we ban food at all desks ( to save on calories and mess lol plus our boss hates it) so we opened a little tuck shop with fruit and healthy snacks at super cheap prices. Then all of the proceeds go to our staff night out! Just an idea works for us! Xx
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I used to work in offices like that and it was more obnoxious than tempting to me. Other people running into the staff kitchen for treats just made me less interested in whatever it was.

I'm glad no one in my current office ever seems to eat. It's just coffee & cigarettes for this crew, 24/7. I drink my tumbler of water all day long and that's it (we all leave the building for lunch breaks unless it's icy outside).

Vendors/reps bring in breakfast or treats maybe 6 times a year and we just pass it on to our manufacturing plant because those guys burn a lot of calories and will devour whatever it is. If it's especially good donuts, I'll snag two and take them home for me and my husband but I won't eat at my desk, period.

Wow I know this sounds obnoxious. I just think it's a problem I don't want to have so I try to cut it out. I don't think I would do anything differently if my coworkers snacked all day, honestly.
  • agrube1968
    agrube1968 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I work in a doctors office and we are always having drug reps bring us in lunch and snacks!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I don't really like much of what people bring, but I hear ya.
  • erdrk_
    erdrk_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to be in a band but I can't play any instruments or sing. :D But in all seriousness, I'm down to be a part of this support structure. I try to avoid goodies that people bring in unless they're minimally carby. Which is rare.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Another office worker here, was harder to resist temptation when my group was in a small room and the treats were right next to me - now we've been moved to a more open office environment and treats/snacks/cake, etc. only comes in for special occasions, i.e. Birthdays, Christmas, etc.

Our company is a fairly large on and our 'vendetaria' is clear on the other side of the building and I have zero desire to go traipsing that far for junk from a vending machine.

If there's something in the breakroom from a meeting or something and one of us sees it, we share the info - but 9/10 I'll just shrug my shoulders and say to myself "nope"

Like some I pre-plan my snack times and keep a protein shake ready for mornings and a protein bar for the afternoons.

Keeps temptation at bay!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My office isn't too bad for treats and such.... anything that comes in goes to the lunchroom.

I just try to avoid it if something tempting is there.

I'm lucky that my department has a large fridge separate from the lunch room. I stock my home made soup and frozen fruit in there. I keep my Ninja at work along with all the fixings for protein shakes and smoothies.

That really helps on the food side.

And I bought myself a DeskCycle so I can pedal away without anyone the wiser.

I also make myself get outside and go for a walk at lunch and take the long way around to the bathroom.

I have an hour commute each way but I'm planning on parking my car 6-8 miles from work and cycling it the rest of the way once the weather warms up.

It's all the little things that help.
  • jenn308
    jenn308 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Definitely add me on this to....I usually try to avoid the break room if possible and always push water throughout the day.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I save calories to eat cake at work, it makes me happier when I’m doing boring tasks. :(
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    bravo veri desk!
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to work from home now and don't have this problem. But I did work in an office in the past and can totally relate. What really helped was just packing all my food the night before. In fact, I also did (and still do) log everything I'm going to eat a day in advance. It really helps me stick to my plan and keep off the 50 pounds I lost. Even though it's more work, it's completely worth it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I actually have a weird thing about eating foods other people prepare...I have to know them pretty well and have a good idea of what their hygiene is and preferably what their kitchen looks like and how well sanitary conditions are kept. I've seen too many gross kitchens I think...
  • juniejoseph
    juniejoseph Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I keep healthy snacks out of sight in my desk unless I really need them. Since, I've been fasting recently, I have a better grasp on true hunger vs occasional hunger pains. I do what others mentioned above and if it something I really like, I save it to eat later or I make a plan to eat it on my next cheat day.

Even so, reading everyone's responses is really encouraging and I would love to join!