Feeling Depressed

Let me start off by saying I started my lifestyle change last week. I have lost almost 2lbs in the first week by restricting my calories to 1,200-1,500 a day. I've done pretty well with staying on track. Although I admit I am a bit OCD and very type A, so when I set my mind to something I do it very strict. I guess it's a blessing and a curse. I'm constantly trying to plan my days and what I can and cannot have. I work a high stress job so that is only adding to everytgi.g lately. And as I am sitting here at my desk eating celery and peanut butter. I find myself feeling sad/depressed/alone. I'm glad I have decided to make a change. I NEEDED to for a long time. I have been overweight my entire life. And I'm at almost my highest weight and just feel ashamed of my body. I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just needing to vent.. Maybe a bit of both?

Replies

• koreanarab
    koreanarab Posts: 2 Member
    You've got a long journey yet very eye opening ahead of you
    Don't restrict calories so much just go down by 100 to 150 calories first and start slowly from there, do flexible dieting, take it easy for now and every thing will be ok
  • EarthFHS
    EarthFHS Posts: 21 Member
    Well, I think your name says it all! You are one awesome woman. If making changes to your weight is important to you, then you got this! But even more importantly, you're learning how to care for yourself and keep yourself mentally and spiritually healthy. Mindfulness about what you eat can really help mental health long-term. If you're feeling depressed right now, I'd strongly suggest increasing the amount that you exercise, even if that means just going for a short walk every day. Exercise is amazing! Also, make sure to continue reaching out to friends and family that love you, and don't be too hard on yourself! You can do it!
  • mac90kh
    mac90kh Posts: 27 Member
    I think no food/drink rewards are something that usually excite me but also take my mind off the little pockets of sadness - im an emotional eater (aren't we all?)
    So I basically have a folder on my Chrome browser where I add items that I would buy for myself as reward once I got a certain milestone. That way I'm excited about my journey and spend time visualising what my milestones look like. May be silly but it helps
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I suggest you use your tendencies to be strict with the right things, which is setting an appropriate calorie target, and sticking to it. Pick a weekly weightloss rate of no more than 1%, and then you get an appropriate target.

Then eat whatever you like, within those calories. If it's a lifestyle change, it's for life, not to make a statement to your colleagues, or as repentance for having "sinned", or whatever.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Let me start off by saying I started my lifestyle change last week. I have lost almost 2lbs in the first week by restricting my calories to 1,200-1,500 a day. I've done pretty well with staying on track. Although I admit I am a bit OCD and very type A, so when I set my mind to something I do it very strict. I guess it's a blessing and a curse. I'm constantly trying to plan my days and what I can and cannot have. I work a high stress job so that is only adding to everytgi.g lately. And as I am sitting here at my desk eating celery and peanut butter. I find myself feeling sad/depressed/alone. I'm glad I have decided to make a change. I NEEDED to for a long time. I have been overweight my entire life. And I'm at almost my highest weight and just feel ashamed of my body. I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just needing to vent.. Maybe a bit of both?

Wow..... that pretty much summed up my life a year ago !!

There were times I seriously felt like every day lasted a year and that I was working so hard and being so good and not cheating at all and why is this taking so long !!!!!!!

lol..... but I stuck to my plan.... and have lost 101 lbs so far with about 30 more to go.

Just know you are not alone and this is a great place for advice, support, motivation, inspiration and yes..... to *kitten* and moan....... lol.

Hang in there.... you can do it!