trying to create a work out, help

Options
I've just started back to a gym. In the past (years ago) it was all weight training and I had a trainer/coach and was in there 4 and 5 days a week, the gym I joined is very "Mom and Pop" and theirs not a trainer on staff when i work out that has been to school or really has a history in the field. So I say all that to ask... what is a good 45min-1hour work out for 3 days a week? I can fill in the details I'm asking more for "xx-min on elliptical, legs, back day one, then arms chest day two.... I guess I just want to try to keep it balanced. thanks

Replies

• frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was recently told that you can't both lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. I don't know if that's correct or not. However, I'm focusing on burning fat. So I'm doing almost total cardio with the rare toning workout thrown in. I love the elliptical because it's no impact and I can burn plenty of calories (about 300 per 30 minutes on average). Since cardio can be done every day I try to get in five or six days per week.

My two cents worth - quite possibly not worth that.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    there are endless possibilties, like you could do straight cardio 2 of the three one week, and straight weightl lifting on 1 and then swap it up next week creating muscle confusion

as for the actual excercises.

squats, lunges, pull ups and push ups are good combo- and you can could always add weights to those for an added effect

then for stomach, leg lifts, crunches, ab machines, trunk twist, cross section crunches any combo and reps

just a few ideas i'm sure there's plenty more
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I was recently told that you can't both lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. I don't know if that's correct or not. However, I'm focusing on burning fat. So I'm doing almost total cardio with the rare toning workout thrown in. I love the elliptical because it's no impact and I can burn plenty of calories (about 300 per 30 minutes on average). Since cardio can be done every day I try to get in five or six days per week.

My two cents worth - quite possibly not worth that.

the more muscle you have the more fat you burn, however muscle weighs more than fat so initially when building muscle the scale will stay the same or maybe even appear as a weight gain. you will still be buring fat.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, seriously look at FitnessBuilder from Pumpone. They have multiple apps but they are all just smaller versions of the main one. It's 9.99 to get the app and then a subscription for further content. It's well worth it IMHO.
    There's a huge database of exercises and you can build your own routines. They also have a few hundred canned ones too, I typically don't use those ... except for good ideas ... and like to customize/create and also track my own workouts.

NOTE: Don't get sticker shock on $9.99 because apps are $0.99 too. That's ridiculous IMHO because we spent a few hundred on a phone, then 70+ a month anyway. The application is high quality, not crap or short on content like most and the support is 2nd to none.You will rarely have to wait more than a few hours for a response to ether a fitness or support question. 10 stars.