Healthy carbs on the side of a meal

Options
Hello all! First of all, I know carbs aren't evil and our body needs them especially after a workout. My question is what does everyone like to eat in their meals that contains simple carbs? I usually will have rice/potatoes with some kind of green veggie (I want to try roasted zucchini next) but I am getting bored of that and what was wondering what other people might be doing for their meals. Also side question; How many grams of carbs per lb of body weight is needed for a person to be considered doing "low carb"?

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I do mashed potatoes, noodles in the bag that are flavored like cheddar broccoli
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »
    I know carbs aren't evil
    That's great :D
    and our body needs them especially after a workout.
    Our bodies can make glucose out of protein and fat too, and if you didn't get any carbs at all, you'd still live, but maybe not prosper - most people do better with some carbs, but they're not "essential". But many foods that contain carbs, also contain other, essential, nutrients.
    My question is what does everyone like to eat in their meals that contains simple carbs? I usually will have rice/potatoes with some kind of green veggie (I want to try roasted zucchini next) but I am getting bored of that and what was wondering what other people might be doing for their meals.
    Simple carbs is sugar. Rice and potatoes is starch, which is complex carbs. I eat rice, pasta, barley, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bread, crispbread, pumpernickel, pita, tortillas, oatmeal, polenta, semolina, bulgur, couscous, rice noodles, soba noodles, cassava noodles, millet, tapioka, corn.
    Also side question; How many grams of carbs per lb of body weight is needed for a person to be considered doing "low carb"?
    The limit for low carb is usually considered 100 or 150 grams per day.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm loving sweet potato roasted in the oven either in strips seasoned with paprika and pepper, round discs to dip in hummus, or wrapped in foil and then adding some PB and cinnamon on top.
    Quinoa is lovely and fluffy and you can keep a big batch in the fridge to only have to cook once. It's versatile and can be used in salads, with tomato sauce and meat, stir fried veggies, with eggs..
    Pasta with anything! Also lentil, pea and chickpea pasta are higher protein options for pasta.
    I love Pumpernickel or pure rye bread but I know the taste is not for everybody. I personally love using it to make sandwiches: mustard, ham, lettuce, tomato and pickles, shredded chicken mixed with cottage cheese and boiled egg, smashed avocado and tuna..
    Creamy polenta with milk baked in squares, mustard chicken and grilled veggies (eggplant, zucchini, carrot and onion).
    Breakfast oatmeal with banana, pure cacao powder, stevia, coconut flakes and almonds. Oatmeal with diced apple, cinnamon, walnuts and maple syrup (apple cooked for a couple of mins before adding the oatmeal until fragrant)...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »
    Hello all! First of all, I know carbs aren't evil and our body needs them especially after a workout. My question is what does everyone like to eat in their meals that contains simple carbs?

Fruit, I guess.

I often have oats, beans, pasta, rice, potatoes, barley, sweet potatoes, so on, but those are mostly complex carbs (starch).

Major carb components of my meals also are multiple types of non starchy vegetables -- those are carbs too!
    Also side question; How many grams of carbs per lb of body weight is needed for a person to be considered doing "low carb"?

There's no hard and fast number. I'd consider under 40% of total calories (certainly around 30%) to be lower carb. When I low carb I usually eat around 100 g, or maybe a bit more.