Juicing

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
NO, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT JUICE DETOXING. :flowerforyou:

---Just a little disclaimer before I post questions so some people who would otherwise freak out might calm down, lol.

Last week I got a Jack LaLanne Juicer because I had heard about some juicing recipes that taste really good. It came with some recipes that look rather good, but I have some questions first.

When you are using a juicer, exactly how many calories should you say something has? I mean, if you juice 3 apples and mix in a carrot or something, do you say you had that many calories (the same as 3 apples and 1 carrot)? It is taking the pulp out, so I would imagine the answer is no, but how do you add something like that to your diary? And also, when you juice veggies, and then use the pulp to cook with (I was thinking of using it in omelets, meatloaf, etc.) how do you calculate the calorie and nutrient content from that?

Any tips or recipes would be appreciated. I am still trying to cut fat, so I need to stick to 1800 calories and want to make sure that whatever conconctions I create by juicing will fit into the diary.

Replies

• MorningWhispers
    Options
    I just record how many apples, carrots, kale leaves, etc I put in the juicer on MFP, I don't worry too much about how many calories are in the pulp that I'm not consuming.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If your not eating the pulp then I generally go by a generic juice thats "no sugar added".
  • thegongshow
    thegongshow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a frequent juicer. I count the entire calories of the things I put in, pulp or not. I wish I could help you with pulp cooking but I've never heard of it till this post lol. I normally just throw it away. I get most of my recipes off omegajuicers.com so you should check them out. Good luck<3
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    You can save the pulp and make a soup with it or put it in other things you cook like meatloaf, etc.

But personally I've found the leftover pulp to be pretty flavorless. All of the flavor was in the juice that you just extracted. If you have a garden the pulp makes good compost.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The pulp is mostly just fiber that has no calories. The calories comes from the sugars in the juice so whatever you put in your juice is your calorie count. People think they can "diet" by juicing but it's actually a more concentrated way of eating fruits and veggies without feeling full.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    The pulp is mostly just fiber that has no calories. The calories comes from the sugars in the juice so whatever you put in your juice is your calorie count. People think they can "diet" by juicing but it's actually a more concentrated way of eating fruits and veggies without feeling full.

That makes sense. I will just add together the veggies and/or fruits that I am dumping in the juicer and go from there. If I use the pulp to flavor some food, I would probably do it for the same meal that I drink the juice...like drink a veggie juice and then add the pulp to some egg whites.

I'm technically not juicing to "diet," but I think this will help me get more veggies into my diet which will help me out in the long run anyway.

I've been trying to rearrange my feeding schedule anyway, because with 5-6 meals it can sometimes be hard when my daily schedule gets changed and I end up just eating crap from a fast food place to save time...and my schedule changes often these days because of work. Juice and eggs for breakfast when I wake up would be great...and then a large meal before going to work...and then a handful of whatever when I am at work...should work.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    How accurate is:

http://myphytos.com/build

I was searching the website for references on how accurate it is or how they calculate things, but couldn't find anything. This is quite different than calculating using the entire fruit/veggie info...

And then there's this whole idea of adding everything together and subtracting out the grams of fiber multiplied by 4.

All 3 methods are frustratingly different and I am confused as to which one is most accurate. :ohwell: :explode:
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    bump
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • chrischris76
    chrischris76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
  • chrischris76
    chrischris76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a frequent juicer. I count the entire calories of the things I put in, pulp or not. I wish I could help you with pulp cooking but I've never heard of it till this post lol. I normally just throw it away. I get most of my recipes off omegajuicers.com so you should check them out. Good luck<3

Great info! I recently received a juicer for my bday and have been looking for a good website for juicing recipes. Thanks!
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I found some good recipes on juicerecipes.com and actually made the "Breast Cancer Awareness Juice" recipe today. Adding up the ingredients I used comes out to a total of 108 calories per cup of juice (300g watermelon, 33g lemon, 47g tomato) and man did that ever taste AMAZING!!!

I've just decided to do what the above poster said and add up the total amount of calories as if I was eating the whole thing. I need to be in a deficit anyway, so if I underestimate the calories, it won't be the end of the world. I probably overestimate my exercise anyway.