Coldness after running...thoughts?

Options
Last winter I noticed that when I'd get home from a run, after I cooled down, I'd REALLY cool down. As in internally I felt like I was freezing! Now this summer, I'm noticing the same thing. I've been home about an hour from my run, showered, relaxing, and now I feel cold. I'm actually sitting here with a blanket on in AUGUST! Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Having hypothyroidism, that's the first thing that comes to mind. Have you had your thyroid checked? (although, if it manifests only after exercise, that might not be the answer)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've heard other people talk about it and have also experienced it sometimes myself. Never really thought about it. When I was on the track team in high school a lot of us used to put on our pants and jackets over our little shorts and tanks after an event. It's pretty common, but I don't know the science behind it!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Having hypothyroidism, that's the first thing that comes to mind. Have you had your thyroid checked? (although, if it manifests only after exercise, that might not be the answer)

I acutally had it checked last year and as of then it was fine. I'll keep it in mind though!

It only seems to happen after running. Other exercise I don't seem to have the same problem.
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Everyone has some variability in heat loss after engaging in a strenuous event that both rises core and skin temperatures. When you cool down, your skin cool down may overshoot your core cool down, which tells your body to respond to the 'cold' by shivering, maybe even turning pale, etc. It's generally a variation of normal and a lot of people experience it, especially those with high surface areas to mass ratios.
    Know that it's generally a normal phenomenon and maybe bring a warm coverup for post run cooldowns. Yesterday the temp happened to drop a few degrees and it started to drizzle as I was just finishing my run and walking to cool down. By the time I got home I felt like a popscicle! I had to get in a hot bath and then wear my robe for a while.
    Hth! :)