What should I do if I eat over my calorie goal?

Options
What should I do if I eat over my calorie goal (which is 1200 a day). Should I cut back the next day? Should I try and average it out over the next six days? (So try and keep my weekly total to 8400), or should I never go under 1200 a day?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    given that 1200 is the lowest recommended amount, i wouldn't do anything.

if going over happens a lot i would consider whether it was the right calorie goal long term.
  • lucysteen5
    lucysteen5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So don’t cut back at all the next day, just eat 1200?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    lucysteen5 wrote: »
    So don’t cut back at all the next day, just eat 1200?

i wouldn't
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    If you don't give your body enough fuel, it thinks there is a famine happening and hangs on to the fat cells for protection . . .

nope....
  • lucysteen5
    Options
    Nope to what Tavistock
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Nope to what Tavistock

the post i quoted
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Log it, move on, and reevaluate calorie goals. 1200 is a very low goal. Are you a short, small, sedentary female? Do you do any exercise?
  • lucysteen5
    Options
    I’m not, FitnessPal has recommended 1500 for me and I do workout at least three times a week for an hour. But I am hypothyroid and I believe I have a very slow metabolism, but this is just a guess. I seemed to be able to lose weight in the first few weeks at 1200 - 1300, a day but trying to make up for over eating doesn’t seem to work for me and my weight loss has slowed down.
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If MFP recommended 1500 calories for you, I would eat that many and more, if you exercise.
    If you're finding yourself overeating a lot, I would take this as a sign that your body needs more food and there's nothing wrong with eating more. You won't feel well or energized if you're eating too little and those workouts you're doing now will suffer.
    Try to find a level where you're satisfied and still losing. It's better to be comfortable and healthy and losing a steady 1/2 pound or 1 pound per week than to be in a cycle of feast and famine. That's not just hard on your body but your mind, too.

I used to think I had a slow metabolism but what I realize now is that was me having too high of an expectation of what my weekly weight loss could be AND I was impatient to have those results yesterday.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Pick up tomorrow, it's a new day.
  • getskinny1973
    getskinny1973 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I go over my calories, I just do a work out in the evening to burn the extra calories off.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @lucysteen5 it seems counterintuitive to eat more, but what you're trying to do is function at an optimal level, not simply starve yourself thin. Think about eating the best amount, rather than the least. Either way, as said above, tomorrow is a new day, just press on and chalk today up to experience.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I’m not, FitnessPal has recommended 1500 for me and I do workout at least three times a week for an hour. But I am hypothyroid and I believe I have a very slow metabolism, but this is just a guess. I seemed to be able to lose weight in the first few weeks at 1200 - 1300, a day but trying to make up for over eating doesn’t seem to work for me and my weight loss has slowed down.

What are your stats?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    @lucysteen5 it seems counterintuitive to eat more, but what you're trying to do is function at an optimal level, not simply starve yourself thin. Think about eating the best amount, rather than the least. Either way, as said above, tomorrow is a new day, just press on and chalk today up to experience.

This is such solid advice. Really think about what is being said here. If you really want to be successful in losing weight and keeping it off, finding that sweet spot where you are able to perform your daily functions without feeling deprived and still lose weight over the long haul is really critical. It may take some time and patience, but you will get there. Trying to do it be going to extremes is almost certain to lead to failure.
  • lucysteen5
    Options
    I’m 169 cm tall, weigh 76.7 kg and am a stay at home mum with three boys. 9 months, four years and seven. So pretty much on my feet all day. (And night!)
  • lucysteen5
    Options
    I just can’t exercise too much now as so busy with the three kids.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I’m 169 cm tall, weigh 76.7 kg and am a stay at home mum with three boys. 9 months, four years and seven. So pretty much on my feet all day. (And night!)

It's very doubtful you need to eat so little to lose weight, you probably just need to be more consistent.
  • lucysteen5
    Options
    I’m not sure about my activity level though if I change it to little activity it changes to 1250, I reviewed my activity monitor and it estimates more of my time is sitting than standing, but it’s estimates of calories burnt is 2000 on a day with no exercise. I’ll leave it at 1250 but increase it on workout days and if weight loss is too high then I will review it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake? Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh your food?

1200 is tough to stick with long term. Finding a way to manage your expectations and your calories will lead to long term success.