Any change to fat distribution during maintenance?

Options
...I know, my vanity is clutching at straws here :)

I've lost 207 lb so far and will be moving into maintenance in another 17 or so. What I've noticed is that my body will do literally anything rather than burn fat below the waist; my upper body currently looks almost gaunt, with such protruding collarbones that I can hook my fingers behind them to keep my arms in place when I do crunches, while I can still grab handfuls of fat from my thighs! And to add insult to injury, I'm now fast going down cup sizes as the only fat my upper body still has to burn...

While I've always been a pear shape and clearly am always going to be, is there any chance that when I get to maintenance and stop losing weight, my body will redistribute its stores a bit? I quite like the collarbones, but I'm gonna miss the breasts!

Replies

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The joys of fat loss !!!! ... I went for a couple of months with T-Rex arms and chicken legs and a fat belly until the weight finally came off the mud section and my arms look to be in proportion,

I am currently in maintenance and have been told that you can lose fat and build muscle in this state ... I dunno thoug, I just don’t believe it, despite giving it a go ... can’t help but believe if you want to loose the thighs then you have to stick to that deficit until the fat goes ... and probably lose more from the breasts ... but, when it’s gone you will be back in proportion, just smaller all over
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    There are a LOT of things that affect fat distribution, so it can definitely happen, but I wouldn't count on it. The best thing you could do would probably be to build some muscle to create the illusion of the shape you desire and then lose some more fat to lean out those legs as well. Won't solve the booblies problem though :cry:
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I’m currently doing strength work at least twice a week, but no heavy lifting; I have weak arms/shoulders that get injured easily, so I thought it best to avoid much in the way of weights until I’m out of deficit and can actually build muscle there.

I fear for my boobs, though!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I’m currently doing strength work at least twice a week, but no heavy lifting; I have weak arms/shoulders that get injured easily, so I thought it best to avoid much in the way of weights until I’m out of deficit and can actually build muscle there.

I fear for my boobs, though!

Unfortunately boobs consist of a large amount of fat with some tissue/glands etc. thrown in there too. I feel your fear. I was quite small chested to begin with and now I am even smaller. It is fun to throw out pants that are too big not so much for throwing out pretty bras.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    :'( and here I am, stick arms and legs with a 3-4 months pregnant looking like abdomen that just won’t go...I swear the more and heavier I lift the more skinny my limbs get!!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I'm just like you: bony upper body (you can count my ribs) with big thighs and calves. I'm a runner, so my legs are strong, but they will never be thin. I should have done more weight training, but a bad shoulder precludes a lot of upper body work. (I screwed up my rotator doing a push-up challenge.)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss! Wow!

To answer your question, no. Fat does not redistribute at any point in the process. It's either where it is or its gone. It sounds like you are asking about recomposition, changing your body composition slowly over time. There's a great thread here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

The strength training will really help with that. Great thing about it is that you can reach your goal weight and then kinda shift your goals/focus to using that new body in new ways to reach new goals!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! To clarify, I am aware of recomposition, I plan to do it, and it is definitely not what I am asking about. Muscle gain is not gonna fill out my bra cups again - in fact, recomp will if anything make the problem worse!

However, I was mildly curious as to whether fat always goes back on in exactly the reverse of the order it came off, as anecdotal evidence from friends suggests it might not (for example, the friend who always gained weight on her bust but lost it from her hips; after several rounds of weight gain and dieting she had to have reduction surgery).

Sounds like I shouldn’t hold out much hope, though. Time to buy new underwear!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the opposite. I always love to see that my boobs are shrinking, they are so uncomfortable larger, even though I have never had particularly large boobs.
  • RadishEater
    Options
    Why would someone woo @nowine4me response?
  • RadishEater
    Options
    Oh well I can understand that.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Oh well I can understand that.

Also, there's a pretty strong "no plastic surgery" contingent around these parts. /shrug
  • RadishEater
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq oh yep I misread that, in my head I read she did full body lifting... like an intense lifting program for the whole body and that helped her tone up and look great.