Diet Rules

Options
Been Logging Calories for a few weeks now, and lost a couple pounds. Here are my personal dieting rules (ok, preferences)

-You can have anything you want if it fits in your calorie goal.
-veggies and fruit are good. Eat some every day. They are low calorie. They are filling. They are rich in nutrients
- a lazy salad (just spring mix and dressing) is better than no salad
- Meat is filling. Fish is filling. Eat some with lunch and dinner
- A high protein breakfast is filling. Yogurt or eggs. Eat some of those in the morning.
- Low fat dairy is the worst. Full fat dairy is yummy and filling.Eat some of that
- You can have pizza if you want- but it has to fit in your calories.
- Same with ice cream
- Same with candy
- Same with cake
- Measure, weigh, and log everything

Do you have any similar diet rules for yourself? You can call them preferences if it makes you feel better about it. ;)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have similar rules (at least I feel they are of the same philosophy) :D
    Plan balanced and varied meals, meals I want to eat. I use a spreadsheet to make the plan, which turns into a log, and I weigh and count, but I don't track calories.
    Eat regularly - eating every day, but not all the time, is good enough, but three meals per day and roughly the same calorie intake every day, is what I schedule and aim for.
    Rotate dinners through the week.
    Meals are preferably simple, but must be appealing.
    All meals contain protein and fat (preferably naturally fatty protein), vegs, and starch.
    Every day I eat two portions of fruit, and at least three portions of non-starchy vegetables. Usually 200-400 g of whole milk per day, and at least one portion of nuts per week.
    Every Saturday, I plan, and eat, a treat.
    On special occasions, or if anything out of the ordinary happens, I am flexible.
    I weigh myself every morning and record the reading. I have a range that I aim to stay within, and I take action if I see creep over time.
    I am active on the daily. No planned exercise, just taking opportunities to move.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i like these:
    my general rules:
    Eat to your calorie goal, meet your protein target, supplement only where necessary
    Fuel your workouts; fuelled workouts are more productive and better enable goals to be met
    Whole foods first, if it has eyes or grew its better for you than something that has been altered by man. Shop around the edges of the supermarket to make this happen
    80/20 rule. Everyone enjoys a treat and you can't eat only natural all the time.
    Where possible make it yourself, you don't need to buy stir fry/pasta/curry sauce from a jar
    don't let food be a reward/stress relief
    be accountable: you are responsible for what you eat
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    - Do not talk about diet or calories with friends, family and coworkers
    - Focus meals around protein and veggies
    - Enjoy treats in moderation
    - Delay first meal as long as possible (IF)
    - Don't drink your calories
    - Try to be active for at least 30 minutes every day
    - Weigh-in daily and track on Libra