Sweet Potato Confusing Raw vs Baked Nutrition

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the nutrition for my sweet potatoes.

I measured out 250g raw of sweet potato and baked it in the oven and then the cooked weight came out at 150g.

According to MyFitnessPal in 250g of raw sweet potato there is 215 calories and 50g of carbs.

6wawgoepzqd4.png

Then in 150g of baked sweet potato there is only 135 calories and 31g of carbs.

rcjip8ircuzq.png

Does anybody know which method is correct?

Currently I'm doing 250g of cooked sweet potato, which according to the baked sweet potato nutrition would be 225 calories and 52 of carbs. If I then used the ratio of raw/cooked from above this would be roughly 415g raw, which would be 357 calories and 83g of carbs.
So there would be a different of 132 calories.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I would use raw weight... You don't know how long it was baked, how much water was lost etc in the cooked entry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    That's why raw is typically better. That's a huge difference though! Sounds really odd for potato.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    If you ever weigh something hot that you just cooked, the scale weight keeps going down as it cools. :o I use raw weight whenever I can.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    zachdean21 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am trying to calculate the nutrition for my sweet potatoes.

I measured out 250g raw of sweet potato and baked it in the oven and then the cooked weight came out at 150g.

According to MyFitnessPal in 250g of raw sweet potato there is 215 calories and 50g of carbs.

6wawgoepzqd4.png

Then in 150g of baked sweet potato there is only 135 calories and 31g of carbs.

rcjip8ircuzq.png

Does anybody know which method is correct?

Currently I'm doing 250g of cooked sweet potato, which according to the baked sweet potato nutrition would be 225 calories and 52 of carbs. If I then used the ratio of raw/cooked from above this would be roughly 415g raw, which would be 357 calories and 83g of carbs.
    So there would be a different of 132 calories.

But it was raw when it weighed 250 g. If you're using the raw weight, you should use any entry for the raw food.