Unhealthy/Gross foods growing up

Options

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Chicken steppers - the actual feet with the toes and toe nails. Not bad tasting, but I wouldn't do it now.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Pickled pigs feet.....fried bologna sandwiches..........beef tongue out of the pressure cooker.... :s

Totally nailed my childhood right there. Add in some head cheese sandwiches instead of bolonga (think whole head of some farm animal boiling on stove and gelatinizing in bread pans) and this is why I have been in therapy for years!!

And I wanted to add headcheese too. So many don't know what it is. What years were you in that food era?

70's and 80's.

By late 80's my mom switched us to really badly made tofu dishes and pounded to death venison fried in flour and butter. I cringe thinking about it. Or the 'rabbit' stew (i.e. crockpot rabbit smothered in cream of mushroom soup) that I used to be able to tolerate until I found out at one point it was actually squirrel depending on what my dad and brothers caught that day. I think that may be child abuse or animal abuse now, but who knows :s
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Top Ramen, Hamburger Helper, banquet Hungry Man mexican dinners. Way too salty and soggy to handle now. Trix, fruit loops, cocoa puffs all too sweet.lots of things I used to like make me gag now
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Tuna helper!! Blecchh!!!!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I can remember just crushing up the noodles in a packet of ramen and then using the soup base as a seasoning, and eating like chips. It was a food trend in my school. I want to die a little when I think of the sodium now.

At home we used canned "meat sauce" for spaghetti night - also crazy salty.
    Kraft Dinner (Mac n cheese)

And pop/soda...so much pop.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    I can remember just crushing up the noodles in a packet of ramen and then using the soup base as a seasoning, and eating like chips. It was a food trend in my school. I want to die a little when I think of the sodium now.

We did this in one of the schools I went to as well. I thought it was pretty good until you got to the bottom of the bag and it was mostly seasoning and too salty to even eat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    litoria wrote: »
    Ha, my mum was a TERRIBLE cook, and her ideas about school lunches, awful. I was about 7 years old, opened my lunch box to find: sandwiches with a filling of sheep brains and mashed pumpkin. This was truly formative...I'm vegan now

Okay, this is the first thing in this thread that really grossed me out. I thought I'd heard it all . . .
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Ha, my mum was a TERRIBLE cook, and her ideas about school lunches, awful. I was about 7 years old, opened my lunch box to find: sandwiches with a filling of sheep brains and mashed pumpkin. This was truly formative...I'm vegan now

Okay, this is the first thing in this thread that really grossed me out. I thought I'd heard it all . . .

Totally. I would have gone crying to the teachers/counselors. lol
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Pickled pigs feet.....fried bologna sandwiches..........beef tongue out of the pressure cooker.... :s

Totally nailed my childhood right there. Add in some head cheese sandwiches instead of bolonga (think whole head of some farm animal boiling on stove and gelatinizing in bread pans) and this is why I have been in therapy for years!!

And I wanted to add headcheese too. So many don't know what it is. What years were you in that food era?

70's and 80's.

By late 80's my mom switched us to really badly made tofu dishes and pounded to death venison fried in flour and butter. I cringe thinking about it. Or the 'rabbit' stew (i.e. crockpot rabbit smothered in cream of mushroom soup) that I used to be able to tolerate until I found out at one point it was actually squirrel depending on what my dad and brothers caught that day. I think that may be child abuse or animal abuse now, but who knows :s

For me 60's to 70's. Sounds like you were or are southern folks. The only rabbit we had was from the store and I just couldn't put it in my mouth.
    The only wild we were close to was wild collard
    greens. Parents had to have stomachs pumped after they ate it...we kids did not touch that green stuff....good thing!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options

70's and 80's.

For me 60's to 70's. Sounds like you were or are southern folks. The only rabbit we had was from the store and I just couldn't put it in my mouth.
    The only wild we were close to was wild collard
    greens. Parents had to have stomachs pumped after they ate it...we kids did not touch that green stuff....good thing!

Plenty of my relatives were eating game, including rabbits and squirrels, in rural Michigan in 1960s-70s and beyond. My dad was too soft-hearted to hunt if he didn't absolutely have to, but I occasionally ate rabbits/squirrels/deer others had shot, while growing up. I knew poor college students who ate those things in the 1970s, too. I suspect some of my rural cousins still eat small game. It was something hard-working poor and working class people did/do there.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Michigan too @AnnPT77 ...and yes, my extended family still enjoys bunny stew now and again!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Chicken steppers - the actual feet with the toes and toe nails. Not bad tasting, but I wouldn't do it now.

Love Chinese chicken feet served for dim sum. Marinated and steamed w/salted black beans and some jalepenos. Yum but they do chop the toe nails off. LOL!

Also consider beef tongue and head cheese mentioned previously as delicacies.

Sometimes still make beef tongue but ehat use to be a very cheap throwaway piece of offal is not more expensive per # than a NY strip steak.

Don't see headcheese offered anywhere near where I live but use to eat it regularly as sandwich meat. When I see it in a deli now, it too is marked much higher than I think it's worth.

Was never a big fan of pigs feet (pickled or not) but one of the specialty winter dishes I cook is a pigs tail and black eyed pea soup, which is delish.

Nothing gross or unhealthy to me about any of these dishes but I'm sure there are those who can't fathom eating any such things.

We all have different eating preferences, based largely our upbringing and culinary experiences. So, there is no accounting for taste. ;)
  • darthchim
    darthchim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I was little my mom made me chocolate soup, which was just microwaved chocolate chips with cold chocolate chips added after, honestly I didn't even like it and I don't understand why my mom thought is was a good idea.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don’t think anyone mentioned Sunny D yet! Omg - I can still remember the commercials!

Otherwise, gushers fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, hamburger helper, goober grape pb&j, Hershey’s syrup, and little Debbie or tastykake fruit pies... wouldn’t touch any of these again!

Thick slab of butter on plain white bread with spaghetti though... that’s legit!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This souns gross but its not.
    BLOODPUDDING!!
    Its a Swedish thing. Soooo good.
  • TonyB0588
    Options

I saw my parents eat fish eyes, but I never had any myself.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Mom made me:
    • Chicken Dino’s
    • Bologne-mayo-Chedder-cheese sandwich
    • Kraft Mac N Cheese
    • Spaghettios
    • Fishsticks

But she would also make amazing dishes like her homemade chili, lasagne, cornbread, coffee cake, quesadillas...

And then I would make myself awful things like:
    • Wheaties with spoonfuls of sugar
    • Omelettes filled with cream cheese
    • Cinnamon-sugar whitebread toast
    • Nachos made with whatever I could find in the house
    • Hot pockets

Guess none of my stuff is as bad as what I’m reading from other people, though!
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Otherwise, gushers fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, hamburger helper, goober grape pb&j, Hershey’s syrup, and little Debbie or tastykake fruit pies... wouldn’t touch any of these again!

Goober was delicious!

My younger sister loved Gushers, she was obsessed with them when she was a kid, so I had them a few times back then. I bought some about a year ago to see if they’re anything like I remember them, and they’re really, really gross.

One treat we had growing up was Jos Louis cakes. My grandfather used to buy them for us when they were expired and on clearance so they were extremely stale, making a horrible cake even more horrible.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    This souns gross but its not.
    BLOODPUDDING!!
    Its a Swedish thing. Soooo good.

That's what I'd call black pudding (I'm English) and it is delish. Especially as part of a full English breakfast after a night on the beer.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    We had something called Bakes - mainly a combo of flour, sugar, and water - fried in oil.