Unhealthy/Gross foods growing up

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I used to make nachos with tortilla chips and melted AMERICAN CHEESE slices and nothing else, dipped in mild Pace Pecante salsa.

How are you supposed to make nachos?
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I used to make nachos with tortilla chips and melted AMERICAN CHEESE slices and nothing else, dipped in mild Pace Pecante salsa.

With real cheese.

eta: and refried beans, black beans, taco meat, onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, etc.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    We definitely still have bread & butter with spaghetti..
  • try2again
    Options

With real cheese.

Ah... didn't realize there were rules. Or that American cheese wasn't real ;)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

With real cheese.

I don't know very many people that actually consider american cheese to be real cheese, lol. That's just all we ever had growing up so I didn't know. I would never put plain american on some chips now and call it nachos :D I love all the things on them now, the more, the better!
  • crtripto165
    crtripto165 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    star crunch cookies, beef and cheese sticks, and cheese doodles - the run of your under 50 cent snacks at any nyc bodega really, really wish someone discouraged me from eating that growing up in hindsight
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The weirdest thing my mom used to regularly offer would be turkey and mustard sandwiches. Neither my brother nor I were big cheese eaters, we didn't like mayo and mom didn't want to chop up any veg to go on it. So, just turkey and mustard.

Other than that, we ate pretty good food. We ate out almost every night for dinner at a restaurant. Although Taco Bell was a big thing. I ate a lot of cheese- free burritos. Also a lot of frappaccinos. From 8th grade to junior year of high school, I had one for breakfast at least 4 times a week.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    On the butter note.... my mom used to put butter with any sandwich. Ham sandwiches had butter, turkey sandwiches had butter, pb&j had butter. The one I did like, and I still enjoy, is a toasted English muffin with butter and jelly with a slice of cheddar cheese in the middle. Rarely have it these days, but it's nostalgic!

Sounds perfectly normal to me! I think this might be an English vs. American thing, though. From what I can tell, Americans tend to put mayonnaise on sandwiches rather than butter. At least, in savoury recipes...

I don't have a strong memory of childhood, but I do remember that we had Nesquik milkshake powder in the cupboard. It was a rare sweet snack, around because it was needed to disguise the taste of my brother's epilepsy medication. I used to sneak spoonfuls of the raw powder, as well as spoonfuls of plain sugar...my mum was so angry, but eating in a relatively restricted way made me want to binge and steal food when I got the chance. You think I'd have learned from those patterns, huh?! Edit: also, LOL when my little sister accidentally drank the epilepsy milkshake when she was sneaking food she shouldn't have had. She was fine, but the image of how panicked everyone was still makes me laugh.
  • try2again
    Options

With real cheese.

I don't know very many people that actually consider american cheese to be real cheese, lol. That's just all we ever had growing up so I didn't know. I would never put plain american on some chips now and call it nachos :D I love all the things on them now, the more, the better!

I was just messing with you... generally speaking, I like my nachos better that way too. ;) But it did prompt me to do a quick search about the actual origins of "american cheese" and I found this article that is both fascinating & hilarious:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/whats-really-in-american-cheese.html

Now, not only do I want nachos with american cheese, I want a cheeseburger, mac & cheese, queso...
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Bread balls! Squish up a piece of white sandwich bread into a little ball and eat it. As kids we thought they were great!

Ha! I forgot about this. We weren’t allowed white bread in my house, and when I was 11 I started babysitting the kids across the street. Their house was always full of candy and snacks that I wasn’t allowed to have, but the one thing that I was obsessed with was eating their white bread because I had never had it before. After the kids would go to bed I’d sneak a piece, and before I ate it I’d squish it up into a ball. I didn’t know that anyone else did this!
  • saymyname2
    saymyname2 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Cheese in a can!
    We only got it when we went camping but Oh god that *kitten* was heaven!

Now however the idea scares me.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Dunkaroos. Do they even make them anymore?
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

I think those died right along side 3D Doritos, and Surge.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    star crunch cookies, beef and cheese sticks, and cheese doodles - the run of your under 50 cent snacks at any nyc bodega really, really wish someone discouraged me from eating that growing up in hindsight

This stuff. And pork rinds, Funnyuns, Raisin cream pies, oatmeal cream pies, commissary cookies, and greasy Drakes or Hostess fruit pies. Unfortunately they followed me into adulthood.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My mom insisted we eat breakfast, cause you know, most important meal of the day. We had either waffles drowned in syrup, white rice with sugar syrup(1 egg, 1 cup sugar beaten on low speed an hour or more, light, fluffy, sugary heaven), or cinnamon toast. Never a hint of protein.
    Dessert for breakfast all the way.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    We used to make sandwiches out of anything, miracle whip, ketchup and mustard. Mother also made butter and onion sandwiches. She cooked all the time so we ate well. I loved when Daddy made SOS: left over roast and gravy on toast like he had in the Air Force. And Nestle's Quik powdered chocolate in milk. Yum!
  • kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    Options

A woman at my gym recently told me she was excited for her trip to Canada because it's the only way she can still get Dunkaroos. So, yes, in Canada?
  • RaenaLynn
    RaenaLynn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to make white bread, bologna, ketchup and mozzarella cheese "pizza bread". It made my mother sick. And I could eat a dozen deviled eggs in a sitting if my parents let me.