Help please - macros, micros what does it mean?

Ajbtv
Ajbtv Posts: 5 Member
Hello - am trying to get started have quite a bit of weight to get rid of (100ish lbs) and see in success stories people talking about counting macros and micros - Can someone explain these to me and what I should be aiming for to lose weight? I am pretty much vegetarian also so I eat a lot of bread and cheese - proteins are difficult to find for me not a big tofu fan either.

Replies

• nadeembahou
    nadeembahou Posts: 6 Member
    I wouldn’t really worry much about macros when first starting, most important thing is having a balanced diet while staying under a calorie deficit. Good luck to you!
  • 1MissCrawford
    1MissCrawford Posts: 11 Member
    Good advice! I'm new too! How do I add people?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Ajbtv wrote: »
    Hello - am trying to get started have quite a bit of weight to get rid of (100ish lbs) and see in success stories people talking about counting macros and micros - Can someone explain these to me and what I should be aiming for to lose weight? I am pretty much vegetarian also so I eat a lot of bread and cheese - proteins are difficult to find for me not a big tofu fan either.

You don't need to count macros and micros to lose weight. To lose weight, you need to create an energy (calorie) deficit.

There are plenty of vegetarian sources of protein; You don't have to eat tofu. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, low-fat or non-fat milk, eggs, legumes (beans, lentils, peas), tempeh, seitan are all good sources to lay down a strong protein base. Get a little more from some nuts, seeds, and grains, although with healthy fats and fiber.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I wouldn’t really worry much about macros when first starting, most important thing is having a balanced diet while staying under a calorie deficit. Good luck to you!
    A calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight. A balanced diet makes it easier to stay in a calorie deficit. Counting macros is an aid to having a balanced diet while staying in a calorie deficit. If you can eat a balanced diet and stick to your calorie allowance, your don't have to track macros. If you don't know how to balance your diet, tracking macros can help.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Do you like eggs/egg whites? A vegetarian myself those are my favourite protein. I don't like tofu either, but eggs, yoghurt, beans/legumes and quinoa are all good sources of protein :)
  • knewgaard18
    knewgaard18 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey. I’m a plant based eater. I do enjoy some greatly prepared tofu though. But you don’t need to tofu at all for protein. Protein comes from plants! Beans and nuts are a great source of protein as well.