Canned fruit vs fresh

Options
Any thoughts on canned fruit in juice not syrup. Are the nutritionals the same?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on canned fruit in juice not syrup. Are the nutritionals the same?

In regards to vitamins and minerals, it's about the same. Some vitamins and minerals are lost during processing, but those nutrients are also lost with fresh produce that isn't immediately eaten after being harvested and sitting on the shelf.

The fruit in syrup will have more sugar as the syrup will have a lot more added sugar, if that's something you are concerned with.
  • melissaentwistle3
    melissaentwistle3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It’s more about the nutritional value.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    What about frozen? Do you have that option? Read the label and make sure it contains fruit only, but I've found frozen to be much better taste and consistency than canned.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What about frozen? Do you have that option? Read the label and make sure it contains fruit only, but I've found frozen to be much better taste and consistency than canned.

Agreed! Frozen fruit is usually much tastier and higher in nutrients than canned.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yeah, I prefer frozen to canned. And during this time of year I probably eat more frozen fruit than so-called fresh (which will be from far away and picked unripe).
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

And frozen will have more vitamins and minerals than either fresh or canned.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Canned fruit has usually been peeled, stripping off some of the fiber and possibly other nutrients. Also, check the sugar. Canned fruit is usually packed in either sugar water or concentrated juice. I am not bashing sugar, just pointing out that you might end up with more calories per nutrient with canned fruit.
  • melissaentwistle3
    Options
    For the frozen fruit.... silly question but you defrost the day of when you want to eat it?
  • melissaentwistle3
    Options

Canned fruit has usually been peeled, stripping off some of the fiber and possibly other nutrients. Also, check the sugar. Canned fruit is usually packed in either sugar water or concentrated juice. I am not bashing sugar, just pointing out that you might end up with more calories per nutrient with canned fruit.

that's my concern... don't want that extra sugar intake

• cwolfman13
    Options
    For the frozen fruit.... silly question but you defrost the day of when you want to eat it?

When I eat frozen fruit, it's typically berries and they either go in my oats and get thawed out when I reheat my oats at work or in my yogurt which I don't eat until the afternoon, so they thaw on their own in that time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

If I do a smoothie the fact they are frozen is a plus. If I do oats I add them to the oats when they are cooking. Other than smoothies I mostly eat them in hot meals I just realized, interesting.

But yeah, you can just defrost too.