Standing calf raises

Options
When I do standing and seated calf raises I usually just use a metal bar or a block of wood or something like that but lately because I’m using more weight now it really hurts my feet and almost is impossible to perform these exercises because of the pain the ends of my feet get while performing this.
Has anyone got any tips on form or any tips for any different objects or extras I can use to perform this exercise to make it more comfortable?
Thanks all!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your feet need to get stronger.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    do one calf at a time, less weight
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a more stable surface? If I am reading your post correctly, you are standing on a block of wood or metal bar. Can you use a stair step? Maybe you're straining your feet by trying to stand on something not very stable. If I read that incorrectly disregard.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    for standing calf raises - i just hold a pair of dumbbells - i feel it - i hate doing seated, but honestly, i don't think adding weight adds much to them anyway
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My feet are a disaster. The seated calf raise tends to irritate my bunion and toes the worst when going heavy. I've found that the leg press machine allows me to position my feet the best to distribute weight more evenly along the ball of my foot and toes.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My feet are a disaster. The seated calf raise tends to irritate my bunion and toes the worst when going heavy. I've found that the leg press machine allows me to position my feet the best to distribute weight more evenly along the ball of my foot and toes.

This! ^^ I do them all here instead of seated and standing. And I do 3 sets, 3 different ways. Toes out 3x15-20 reps, toes straight 3x15-20 reps, toes in 3x15-20reps. Works great.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Note: you can also do wide stance calve raise variations to take some pressure off (Guessing you are doing a somewhat close stance?). One legged variation is also good & much more challenging. Toes in, out, neutral/straight doesn't have a huge/significant effect on working the various parts of the calves (so it seems); do what is comfortable
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Note: you can also do wide stance calve raise variations to take some pressure off (Guessing you are doing a somewhat close stance?). One legged variation is also good & much more challenging. Toes in, out, neutral/straight doesn't have a huge/significant effect on working the various parts of the calves (so it seems); do what is comfortable

Yeah I have been doing quite close stances ones I’ll try wide stance ones and one legged ones and see how that goes, thanks.