What's up with grapes?

Options
Holy smokes, I just ate 100 grams of grapes, and it's over 60 calories. That wasn't very many grapes, folks.

I know 60 isn't a lot, but I'd love to sit down and eat a whole ton of grapes, because they are cold and fresh and delicious on a roasting summer night, but I'm just saying it surprised me how many calories are in grapes.

What has surprised you? What have you found that has a lot more calories than you would have expected?

Replies

• shantronathon
    shantronathon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes, I just ate 100 grams of grapes, and it's over 60 calories. That wasn't very many grapes, folks.

I know 60 isn't a lot, but I'd love to sit down and eat a whole ton of grapes, because they are cold and fresh and delicious on a roasting summer night, but I'm just saying it surprised me how many calories are in grapes.

What has surprised you? What have you found that has a lot more calories than you would have expected?

Bananas. I mean, what the heck. Honestly.
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn with no butter or anything on it. I put it in my diary the other night and was like "what?!".
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

and those too...like, really?
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE grapes too. The sugar content got me, but know I just ignore it. Grapes are great for creating that "mindless eating" feeling that you can get with chips and junk food. Except grapes are much better for you than that (if you don't have to worry about the sugar)
  • stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE grapes too. The sugar content got me, but know I just ignore it. Grapes are great for creating that "mindless eating" feeling that you can get with chips and junk food. Except grapes are much better for you than that (if you don't have to worry about the sugar)

Cherries, too. More calories than they should have, but I could eat them all night long, especially when it's hot like this.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I eat raw fruit and veges all day. i feel full and well within my calories.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

When it's super hot outside I love to stick seedless grapes in the freezer. They are great to snack on and having just a few is so refreshing. Sadly, it's not been too hot here :(

Hemp hearts got me. I picked them up thinking they'd be great, filling, etc and had no clue that the 5 Tbsp serving was over 300 calories. If I remember correctly that added something like 5 or 6 Points plus to my day when I was on Weight Watchers. heh....it did take care of my hunger for the quite awhile though so I guess it's not a bad thing. Just unexpected.
  • unoriginalusername007
    Options
    I totally agree about the grapes! I mean, like you said, compared to other foods they're still relatively low cal, but you really don't get too many grapes for your calorie buck!! Haha before I had a food scale I measured a half cup and only about eleven grapes fit in there; I was so disappointed. That's when I became fond of blueberries and raspberries. :happy:

I also agree about bananas. I know they're large, but I always thought fruit=super low cal. 110 calories for a medium banana kind of shocked me. Butternut squash and acorn squash is higher in calories than I thought it would be, too. And then the obvious one that everyone else probably knew was high cal, Peanut Butter. I honestly had no concept of calories and figured a big spoonful of PB was like 50 calories, then I looked into it and realized it was a lot higher. :tongue:
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    I eat raw fruit and veges all day. i feel full and well within my calories.

*kitten*.

lol.
  • shantronathon
    shantronathon Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Yea man. The calories are pretty up there and the sugar content is high too. Not okay!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yeah man, bummer that we have to budget and eat a balanced diet. There's lots of stuff I have to fit into my budget (like fats, that take up very little room in your stomach but are more than twice as caloric as carbs or proteins!) that I'd just as soon leave out so I could have more room for tasty stuff. Oh well.
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

This. Crazy!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Grapes? Lemme at 'em! :D
    I eat two cups at a time (usually) after my workout. Here's how they compare with chocolate (which I used to snack on) and raisins (my "bridge food" between chocolate and grapes):
    130219-substitutions.jpg

The food that surprised me the most when I started losing weight was antipasto. Holy moly, is that stuff crammed with fat and sodium.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Bailey's
  • Alatariel2002
    Alatariel2002 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Honestly..Beans and Rice. I'm not talking traditional beans and rice, but the kind you throw together on a whim. I even thought I was doing good by using brown rice. I fixed only a cup of rice, and opened a can of ranch style beans. I would often mix the two together and sit and graze on the whole bowl over the next hour or so. I was wanting some beans and rice the other night and fixed it the same way I always have...went to plug the numbers in and almost fell out of my chair. 1 cup of brown rice mixed with one regular sized can of ranch style beans was over 900 calories. Needless to say....I scaled it back to half a cup of rice, and a cup of beans and squeezed it in just under 600 calories. Guess I won't be makiing a lot of that in the future.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches surprise me pretty much every time I log one, even with no mayo.
  • MeganKitty_
    Options
    With fruit, I track it. But I don't let it count towards my calorie goal, because, I mean. If you are not diabetic and don't have to worry about sugar (and you don't go overboard) Fruit is so healthy for you! And it can help you get over junky fake sweet food. Bananas were a surprise for me, but they really are SO GOOD for you.

Things like whole grains, rice and foods that are genuinely really good for you, I try not to be to serious about logging calorie wise. I am the kind of person who will worry way too much about calorie counting and get stressed. As long as you eat in moderation I feel like everything evens out in the end :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yea man. The calories are pretty up there and the sugar content is high too. Not okay!

Unless you have an issue with sugar, it's perfectly okay. Just like being higher calorie doesn't make it 'not okay.'
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn with no butter or anything on it. I put it in my mouth the other night and was like "what?!".

Fixed it for you. :flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    pop tarts.