My Dr is insisting that I need wt loss surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am only speaking on the surgical aspect because I had a total gastrectomy due to medical issues and not because of weight loss. I will tell you that with every surgery ( minor or major) comes with consequences. I will say if you don’t have a handle on eating a certain way after then you aren’t mentally ready for it. I can see it being a tool but it really is a lifestyle change. Food plays a big part in most people’s lives. Weddings deal with food, Funeral deal with food, holidays, watching tv, food courts at malls, what I’m trying to say is that you will have to be ready to be around all that and sometimes, not partake and that can feel lonely at times. I’m not trying to persuade you, because there are many people that had surgery and are living their best life. Everyone has their own unique situation. Also, pool walking is great low impact exercise. I wish you well!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    i would probably ask for a second opinion - if the weight gain is due to a chronic condition (RA) - then Weight Loss surgery may not be recommended/successful

Would also suggest a second opinion.

RA in and of itself does not cause weight gain. Could it make exercise more difficult, sure. It's the CICO equation responsible for weight changes.

Actually some of the drugs to combat RA does increase weight substantially, especially prednisone. The RA alone does causes some weight gain too when in a flare from the swelling.

OP I would suggest Starting Strength lifting routine. It will help you build the muscle around your joints. Some Rheumatologists are finally seeing the benefits of heavy strength training as more people are doing it. Strength training also helps with stress relieve probably the most common cause of flare ups.
  • mmary925
    mmary925 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your stories with me and taking the time to respond! you are helping me so much!

• lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    mmary925 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for sharing your stories with me and taking the time to respond! you are helping me so much!

Good luck to you whatever you decide.