Vegetarian Protein

Options
arl1286
arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
So I recently switched to the 1g protein per 1lb lean body weight thing, and am finding it downright impossible to do at 1500 calories and ~130g of protein.

I'm mostly a vegetarian (but I will eat shrimp, crab, or lobster if the occasion calls for it... :D), and I have zero interest in taking any sort of protein powder or supplement. I also tend to be wary of eating too much soy.

As far as I know, my diary should be open (please tell me if it isn't!). I eat plenty of nuts, quinoa, cheese.

Help me get that protein number higher? Thanks!

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes and bars if you aren't opposed to them.
    Quinoa.
    Peanut butter.
    Beans.
    Chickpeas.
    Hummus.

Personally I love tofu as well but I know many people like you who try to avoid soy. I eat it in (what I consider) moderation.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Lentils... Beans..

But anyhow, you're going to find it next to impossible to hit 130 with a calorie target of 1500 and being vegetarian. I suppose you could do it with impossibly massive amounts of low-calorie vegetables.. (Edit: for example, if you ate 4.4kg of raw asparagus, you'd get 130g protein, at a cost of 1180 calories and a very sore jaw, and extremely high amounts of fiber, potassium, etc).
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    My ex-vegetarian roomie lived off...

Sun Warrior Rice Protein powder and rice or almond milk.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This article seemed to have a lot of info. http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/

Edit: Btw, it appears cottage cheese and feta cheese give you the most for the amnt.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and frustrated as heck. I also eat fish and seafood, eggs and dairy, so it's a whole lot easier for me than a vegan or true vegetarian but I still usually need a protein powder to finish off my day. I'm actually thinking of going back to eating meat because of this but my husband really doesn't want to. So if I need to cook vegetarian for him, and I really don't like the idea of eating animals and feel better on lighter, healthier eating, then I may as well keep trying. Do you eat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, or mozzarella cheese sticks? Black beans burgers, nuts, seeds, beans, tofu... it really is hard. Feel free to add me if you like. My diary is public now although I usually have it for friends only.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking at cook books? I know I own a few and I check out this site called The Flaming Vegan which offers advice and recipes. I figured this would be much more useful than regurgetating everything everyone else has said.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Brocolli has more protein per calorie than beef