Frequent night leg cramps

Options
2»

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I used to get them regularly. I noticed if I can get out of bed and stand up on the leg that is cramping when it first starts it is less painful later.

I had suspected that the source of my leg cramps was too little sodium. I tend to add black pepper, garlic, chili pepper to my food instead of salt. Once I increased my sodium intake the night leg cramps subsided.

Some information I would take with to the doctor is how many ounces fluid you typically drink. Take a look at a few typical days of eating and write down how much sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium you are getting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Cramps are caused by fatigue. Fatigue from what, you would know. Usually over exercising, more steps than usual, lack of recovery.

I'm going to have to disagree. I still overdo it and have fatigue, but no longer get charley horses. For me it was some sort of vitamin deficiency. Not sure what as I am now taking everything mentioned above - potassium, magnesium, D, etc.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My husband use to get severe leg cramps so severe that he wanted to cry every time. Doctor advised him to drink Tonic water which usually has quinine that helps the cramps. Check with doctor and increase your Potassium intake. Over exercising could also cause the cramps and you may want to add recovery time. Good luck.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I get them occasionally. I'll be jolted awake in the middle of the night with my calf in spasm and my foot pointed straight down unable to flex it back. The only way to stop it is to get up and put my full weight on my foot to force it to relax and even then It will instantly cramp up again if I even move it forward a little.

Oddly the only thing I've found that stops them when they start is to (and I know this sounds weird) rub salt on my gums. I'll pour a small amount of salt into my palm, dab my finger in it and rub it along my gums. It seems to provide me with pretty much instant relief.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My son had a similar problem and it ended up being a deficiency of calcium. Having some bloodwork would help your dr identify any deficiencies (calcium, potassium, etc) you may have, so you can address the issue. Hope you feel better soon.
  • the8BitGirl
    the8BitGirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from these stupid cramps almost nightly. So painful! Would go from being dead to the world to wide awake in agony. Magnesium taken daily has helped me. I didn't even realise it would help for cramps, I just took magnesium and potassium because I was on keto and was told I should. I no longer supplement potassium because I now get enough of it in my diet, but as soon as I stop taking magnesium for a few days the cramps come back. :neutral:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    In my case it seems to be a relationship involving hydration level and ratio of Vit D3 and K2 and Magnesium.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    In my case it seems to be a relationship involving hydration level and ratio of Vit D3 and K2 and Magnesium.

Let me guess

You self diagnosed

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Magnesium did it for me. I would check with the doc though just to be on the safe side.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Let me guess

You self diagnosed

Actually, hydration and electrolyte balance is the key cause of night cramping.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm going to have to disagree. I still overdo it and have fatigue, but no longer get charley horses. For me it was some sort of vitamin deficiency. Not sure what as I am now taking everything mentioned above - potassium, magnesium, D, etc.

Unfortunately doctors and medical data will disagree with you.

There is absolutely zero data showing that vitamin deficiency is the cause of cramps. Magnesium might have help with relieve, a deficiency is not the cause. Studies have shown it might relieve the symptoms and more than likely is a placebo.

Cramps usually happens to athletes, while pregnant woman and people of advanced age can experience cramps and is most definitely linked to fatgue.

How did you measure your high level of fatigue and how did you determine that the fatigue had no effect on the cause of your cramps?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Actually, hydration and electrolyte balance is the key cause of night cramping.

While hydration & electrolytes can certainly play a part in night cramps, it doesn't explain why it happens at night and only usually affects the calves, hamstrings & feet. That's probably from reduced circulation in those areas, which reduces the flow of electrolytes within them, causing cramps. There's a few reasons for that:
    - circulation to the extremities is reduced while sleeping
    - sleeping with the knees bent compresses the calves & hamstrings
    - calves & hams are often tight to begin with due to excessive sitting
    - calves get tight from exercise or from wearing shoes with a raised heel (~90% of shoes).

Increasing electrolytes or water doesn't address the localized microcirculation issue, but frequent stretching can. :+1:
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I get these from time to time (oh they hurt so bad) and what I have found is when it is starting I had a tendency to want to stretch my leg out, pointing my toes down but this makes it so much worse. If you feel one starting put your toes straight up in the air and push through your heel, flex rather then stretch. For me it still cramps doing this but not nearly as bad.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

There is absolutely zero data showing that vitamin deficiency is the cause of cramps. Magnesium might have help with relieve, a deficiency is not the cause. Studies have shown it might relieve the symptoms and more than likely is a placebo.

Cramps usually happens to athletes, while pregnant woman and people of advanced age can experience cramps and is most definitely linked to fatgue.

I agree with your statement on vitamin deficiency, but I thought that it was well accepted that electrolyte deficiencies (including magnesium) could indeed cause cramps.

Also, while fatigue is definitely linked to cramps, it's obviously not the only potential cause. Dehydration is a big one, as is the electrolyte issue (thus why pregnant women can get them).

https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/brain,-spinal-cord,-and-nerve-disorders/symptoms-of-brain,-spinal-cord,-and-nerve-disorders/muscle-cramps
  • Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You could try taking Magnesium at night or quinine. Leg cramps are usually related to electrolyte imbalance but could also indicate other medical problems. Might be worth getting a checkup if you haven't been to the doctor for a while. Inadequate hydration can also cause leg ramps

Ditto. Are you also thirsty during the day? Suddenly, I was super thirsty and no amount of water would help then I was getting cramps in my legs at night. Doctor told me drink Gatorade. i.e. electrolytes. I did so, added magnesium and got better within a week. BTW, I made my own electrolyte drink. G has too much sugar. go see a doctor if u can. Best of luck to you.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My night cramps were caused by birth control and were a symptom of a far more serious problem.

It's worth getting it checked out by a doctor if it's more than occasionally.

ETA: I thought it was electrolyte imbalance as well. No amounts of magnesium, potassium and co seemed to help.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Up until a couple days ago, I had been getting foot/toe cramps at night. I not a huge fan of bananas to eat them in my daily calorie allowance so I drink a low sodium V8 juice 5.5 oz most days now and only 30 calories and my cramps have stopped. Hopefully they don't come back!

In the app you can check your potassium levels under nutrition, or in reports on the website.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I consume about 1/2 gram of ground pink salt before bed each night to keep the cramps away.
    I had begun experiencing night cramps in my feet and legs after about a year of weight loss with lots of cardio and some low-sodium choices. Since adding salt to my intake solved that problem, screw low sodium.
  • dimocritus
    dimocritus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Funny, but actual cause of such cramps usually are completely different from micronutrient deficiency, etc. Electrolytes are triggering the existing problem. Actual cause is underdevelopment/atrophy of neuromuscular connection with problematic muscles. Best way to solve it is amputation activation-type exercises. The person should develop the ability to activate (contract) the muscle solo, without any movement in joints and without co-activation of neighboring muscles.
  • tufftre
    tufftre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cramping or tight calves yes can be a hydration issue but if you have or need a orthotic in your shoes these are the signs that your body will give you. It will begin in your calves then move up your IT band make your knees sore and if bad enough it will tighten up your hip. All will be well while in motion during the day. But at night your legs will throb so bad you will be like a soccer player kicking at a ball in your sleep. Investigate with a foot doctor. Make your shoes your best investment they will make or brake your day