HELP: Do I burn 200 cals in 12 mins or 30 mins?

Options
2»

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ye it does, if it takes longer you aren't working out as hard so you are not burning as many calories. Burning 200 calories in 12 minutes on a tread mill is a fantasy. Be realistic in your calculations. Machines are notoriously wrong.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    This may be common sense to others but not to me. I'm still in the learning game with proper exercise and eating properly. Research says that you are supposed to exercise at least 20-30 mins a day. My goal is to exercise daily by burning cals and staying within 1200-1300 cals a day. It used to take 30 mins for me to burn 200 cals but now that I can use the incline and walk faster on the TREADMILL I'm burning 200 cals in 12 mins. I don't know what to do as far as what is right. I KNOW that there is no RIGHT or WRONG. I'm concerned because I want to still lose weight by doing things right. My concern is, if I only do 12 mins, I won't really lose weight. If I do 30 mins I will burn 400 cals and have to figure out what I'm going to eat. True I can eat something, but I work out at 3 AM when I get off work. When I have eaten things to cover my cals, I usually mess up by going over in other areas like sugar, sodium, carbs, fat, or protein. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO?

That would equate to 1000 calories per hour. Walking on the treadmill (and holding on as well), for 4mph would not give you that amount of burn, it is more like 200 calories for 30 minutes, that equates to 400 per hour. As a comparison, it would take me 90 minutes running outdoors at 6.5mph to burn 1000. I am not sure how you measured those exercise calories, but it is highly likely the amount is very wrong.

If you were to do only 12 minutes of exercise, you would more than likely be burning under 100 calories.

Because of all this, you now need to make sure you do not overestimate your exercise calories and underestimate your food.

You are so right. I just bought a new monitor so that should help me to be more accurate. I did lose a lot of weight holding on before when I did it, but I DO want to be accurate as far as my cals, good thinking!

Ahh nice one! It will be interesting to see what your burns show on the HRM! :flowerforyou:
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This may be common sense to others but not to me. I'm still in the learning game with proper exercise and eating properly. Research says that you are supposed to exercise at least 20-30 mins a day. My goal is to exercise daily by burning cals and staying within 1200-1300 cals a day. It used to take 30 mins for me to burn 200 cals but now that I can use the incline and walk faster on the TREADMILL I'm burning 200 cals in 12 mins. I don't know what to do as far as what is right. I KNOW that there is no RIGHT or WRONG. I'm concerned because I want to still lose weight by doing things right. My concern is, if I only do 12 mins, I won't really lose weight. If I do 30 mins I will burn 400 cals and have to figure out what I'm going to eat. True I can eat something, but I work out at 3 AM when I get off work. When I have eaten things to cover my cals, I usually mess up by going over in other areas like sugar, sodium, carbs, fat, or protein. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO?

That would equate to 1000 calories per hour. Walking on the treadmill (and holding on as well), for 4mph would not give you that amount of burn, it is more like 200 calories for 30 minutes, that equates to 400 per hour. As a comparison, it would take me 90 minutes running outdoors at 6.5mph to burn 1000. I am not sure how you measured those exercise calories, but it is highly likely the amount is very wrong.

If you were to do only 12 minutes of exercise, you would more than likely be burning under 100 calories.

Because of all this, you now need to make sure you do not overestimate your exercise calories and underestimate your food.

You are so right. I just bought a new monitor so that should help me to be more accurate. I did lose a lot of weight holding on before when I did it, but I DO want to be accurate as far as my cals, good thinking!

Ahh nice one! It will be interesting to see what your burns show on the HRM! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the flowers. I need to remind my hubby that he's slacking, lol. I will update my real cal burn lol
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sooooo I tested the "THEORY" and my cals burned were only 1 number off. What I realized in comparison from holding on to not holding on is that I actually burn more cals holding on than not. Maybe because I'm also working my arms and other muscles to hold me up, not really for sure. My heart rate through my monitor was much higher holding on also.

For those who gave great advice in a "nice" way, thank you. Great suggestion about the monitor. Also a great idea knowing if I'm really burning what I "thought" and KNOW that I'm burning. :laugh: