Starvation mode

Options
Hi,
Don’t know if I’m posting this in the right place, but am very confused about starvation mode/slow metabolism.
When I started this journey (second time on this journey- after baby number 2) I heard that eating a calorie deficit can sometimes slow metabolism/put your body in starvation mode. Posts about eat more to lose weight got me thinking. However, after further reading into the subject, I’ve come to understand that if the body could slow down that much then surely we wouldn’t see people who are starving look like they are starving (as the body would slow down).
I’m really confused, and to add to the mix, friends etc talk about cheat days to ‘confuse’ the body to stop the metabolism slowing down.
So is it a case that we do get some sort of slow down? Would really appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this for me....thank you :)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You won't slow your metabolism enough to worry about unless you significantly undereat for a long amount of time. Don't sweat it.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You have to honestly really starve yourself like sub 500 calories a day MFP will tell you if you are low in calories so stick to the plan it's a marathon.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You mention the one and only effect of Starvation Mode, which has recently become popular for denying because of many myth side effects given to it.

Adaptive Thermogenesis is better to call it to remove it from the myths so people don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

It takes neither a long time, nor a massive deficit, according to more and more studies.
    It just takes doing things wrong, but sadly the normal way it's talked about in a diet from mags or sites.

No - it can't prevent you from eventually losing fat, because the body can only adapt so much, and you can just keep eating less and less.
    Obviously a stressed body attempting to adapt like that and being thwarted isn't going to work as well overall.
    And eating so little - will you adhere and be successful?
    Stat's say on average - no.

Here is one such study.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

And you are correct on refeeds and diet breaks - cheat "day" isn't long enough to be useful, except mentally perhaps to keep adhering - it doesn't fool body.

First 3 pages here mighty useful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks
  • sbjplll
    sbjplll Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a question, "cheat day" was mentioned, how would that apply to a low to no carb diet. I am currently doing Keto, would anyone know if I am allowed a cheat day?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    sbjplll wrote: »
    I have a question, "cheat day" was mentioned, how would that apply to a low to no carb diet. I am currently doing Keto, would anyone know if I am allowed a cheat day?

That’s your decision whether or not you want a “cheat day” or “cheat meal”. I personally don’t...I eat the foods I want in appropriate quantities within my goals.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Many people disregard that when you've lost weight, your body naturally requires less calories to maintain than when you were bigger/heavier.