Looking for Alternatives!?

Options
2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Wraps aren't really super low cal...better just to think of them as a straight trade off vs. normal bread.

One benefit that wraps do bring is that they're easy to trim so you can use a bare minimum of wrap to contain a certain amount of filling. I easily save 25%-30% of calories from wraps by trimming off two sides square before wrapping up whatever I'm putting inside. This translates to not having any 'unfilled' wrap at the top of your sandwich and not having any 'doubling up' of wrap at the bottom (if using a burrito-like fold). You won't really miss it.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'll often do an open face sandwich so it uses 1 slice of bread rather than two; this helps me enjoy my sandwich while keeping the total calorie count lower.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I also use the Smart Taste pasta...it has high fiber and is white. Please no brown whole wheat pasta for us! Just a preference.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Wraps aren't really super low cal...better just to think of them as a straight trade off vs. normal bread.

One benefit that wraps do bring is that they're easy to trim so you can use a bare minimum of wrap to contain a certain amount of filling. I easily save 25%-30% of calories from wraps by trimming off two sides square before wrapping up whatever I'm putting inside. This translates to not having any 'unfilled' wrap at the top of your sandwich and not having any 'doubling up' of wrap at the bottom (if using a burrito-like fold). You won't really miss it.

Depends on the wrap. Ole and Tumaro both make low carb wraps for 50 & 60 calories, respectively. I have something called Joseph's Lavash bread (wrap) in the house right now that is 60 calories/serving. I don't buy any of them regularly, but pick some up every once in a while when I find them discounted. Makes for a very calorie friendly burrito for lunch, and they all have a decent amount of fiber, so are very filling :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,224 Member
    Options
    I don't find pasta or bread all that tasty or satiating, personally, so I just eat less of them. Instead, I eat what I would've put in the sandwich or on the pasta, often bulked up with extra veggies. When I do eat bread or pasta, it's often some higher protein type (like pea, lentil or edamame pasta) so that I get more nutritional bang for my calorie buck.
  • Smartipants84
    Smartipants84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've subbed out pasta for zucchini noodles, butternut squash noodles, and spaghetti squash. If spiralizing zucchini and butternut squash seems too labor intensive, both Target and Publix sell containers of them pre-spiralized. There are thousands of recipes on Pinterest for how to sprialize and prepare veggie noodles. Another option are the Asian mushroom-based noodles. Get the ones in the produce aisle, not the Asian food aisle (the ones from produce taste better). Just note that the mushroom noodles don't have a lot of taste so make your sauce really flavorful.

Another option for hamburger buns are the hamburger thins. Not a bad option.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Salads instead of sandwiches.
    Burger patty and burger type salad (lettuce,tomato,pickle,onion, with mayo, mustard, ketchup based dressing)
    Rice, quinoa, potatoes for starchy satisfaction instead of pasta.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm having a stirfry as I type this. Using spiralized turnip instead of noodles.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I follow a low carb diet so I just skip the pasta, bread and rice. The actual meat patty, sauces, and stirfrys are the tasty parts anyways. ;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    HarveysBud wrote: »
    Looking for advice on what people use - lower calorie options - for both pasta and bread (hamburger buns, wraps, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

I eat regular pasta and bread. 1 serving in a day is not terrible.
    I use lower calorie hamburger buns.
    I sometimes have zucchini noodles.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    HarveysBud wrote: »
    Looking for advice on what people use - lower calorie options - for both pasta and bread (hamburger buns, wraps, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

spaghetti squash is awesome for pasta.
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    We don't each much bread or pasta because DH and I have both tested sensitive to wheat. However, we will occasionally have a bun with our burgers or order pasta at a restaurant, and I don't bother substituting in that case.

I like to use lettuce leaves to wrap around burgers. For tacos I usually do what a previous poster mentioned and just put it all on a bed of lettuce for taco salad. When we buy pasta we look for the kind that is at least partially veggie-based.

The other night I made meatballs in red sauce--normally I would put this over spaghetti but I just ate them by themselves with a side of broccoli. Really good!

I tried zoodles once but did not care for them. I felt like it was too hard to imagine pasta while eating soggy zucchini :-P