Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options
1676869707173»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    “It's the fact that some here deny that nutrition has anything to do with weight loss.”

Nutrition doesn’t have anything to do with weight loss. Maybe I’m wrong? Can you source that for me?

Where are the posts that say nutrition doesn’t matter for health, which is what I think you’re trying to say?

That's pretty funny, thanks. :) Cheers.

Sorry, not trying to be funny, there’s always a chance I could be wrong so keep that option open. Also, I’m trying to simplify for myself what you’re saying because it’s confusing to me but I think I understand now.

Hey, your story about weight gain while eating basically whole foods still falls within the purview of CICO. My weight gain was a similar story. Anyway, I do hope you find success losing weight, if that's why your here. :) Cheers
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    “It's the fact that some here deny that nutrition has anything to do with weight loss.”

Nutrition doesn’t have anything to do with weight loss. Maybe I’m wrong? Can you source that for me?

Where are the posts that say nutrition doesn’t matter for health, which is what I think you’re trying to say?

That's pretty funny, thanks. :) Cheers.

Sorry, not trying to be funny, there’s always a chance I could be wrong so keep that option open. Also, I’m trying to simplify for myself what you’re saying because it’s confusing to me but I think I understand now.

Hey, your story about weight gain while eating basically whole foods still falls within the purview of CICO. My weight gain was a similar story. Anyway, I do hope you find success losing weight, if that's why your here. :) Cheers

Thanks so much 😊 I’m almost to goal weight now but I’ve had some trouble with diet breaks but I’ll get there. It’s been a long road but worth it. Also wishing you the best on your journey.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Because people like easy. And it isn't always easy to measure/weigh, and log everything you eat until you develop the habit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    Because people like easy. And it isn't always easy to measure/weigh, and log everything you eat until you develop the habit.

I think you should choose a method that is easiest for you

I did calorie counting and it was easy enough for me - admittedly I did it fairly loosely and didnt weigh/measure everything (eg all the bananas I eat are roughly same size so I didnt weigh each one)

My husband on the other hand lost weight purely by eating less and changing what he ate/drank - changed to no sugar versions of drinks, jellies etc and cut down on between meal snacking.

Both of us of course lost weight by CICO - ie taking in less calories than we were burning out - but used different methods to acheive that.

• AyameShimitsu
    AyameShimitsu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Overall, yes, it will work. Calories in and out is all that matters when losing weight. Eating healthy however can increase the speed of weightloss, limit plateaus you may experience, help maintain muscle during weightloss, give more energy for workouts etc. Eating healthy helps accelerate fat loss. What most people want to lose isn't weight but fat percentage. You can weigh more but be shredded or weigh less but still have a high fat percentage for your weight (generally meaning your weaker than you look because you loss muscle along with the fat).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Overall, yes, it will work. Calories in and out is all that matters when losing weight. Eating healthy however can increase the speed of weightloss, limit plateaus you may experience, help maintain muscle during weightloss, give more energy for workouts etc. Eating healthy helps accelerate fat loss. What most people want to lose isn't weight but fat percentage. You can weigh more but be shredded or weigh less but still have a high fat percentage for your weight (generally meaning your weaker than you look because you loss muscle along with the fat).

Some foods have a higher TEF.

Some foods are more sating. (Which ones? Somewhat individual.)

Better nutrition, sure: Maybe more energy, less loss of lean mass alongside fat loss.

Compliance with calorie goal can loom larger as a practical matter, though.

Not going to be shredded (or stronger) without strength-challenging exercise, though.

• omibashu
    omibashu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently ran into a friend who looked like she’d lost weight.

I asked her “Have you lost weight?”

“Yes” she replied.

“How did you do it?” I asked. Silently hoping she was going to give me the scoop on the secret pill or app or macro ratio or miracle diet.

“I just ate less”. She replied.

That pretty much sums it up.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    omibashu wrote: »

“Yes” she replied.

“How did you do it?” I asked. Silently hoping she was going to give me the scoop on the secret pill or app or macro ratio or miracle diet.

When asked how I lost weight, I answer that I finally figured out what caused me to get so fat in the first place. After getting control of that, losing weight (aka: CI-CO) has been effortless.

Statements like the one posted by @AyameShimitsu, "Calories in and out is all that matters when losing weight," are so incomplete that they are just wrong. I label them as being too simplistic because it is the same as saying, "eat less and exercise more." Straining to consume restricted amounts of the same old foods that caused obesity in the first place is prone to failure and leads to a lifetime of unhealthy yo-yo dieting with the added misfortune of being miserable and anxiety ridden for many.

Energy In <less> Energy Out is a simple mathematical formula that broadly describes a biological process with many complicated variables. Finding out the how and why causes of the in-balance for each of us individually is what really matters in making the changes needed to get the simple equation back into balance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    omibashu wrote: »

“Yes” she replied.

When asked how I lost weight, I answer that I finally figured out what caused me to get so fat in the first place. After getting control of that, losing weight (aka: CI-CO) has been effortless.

Statements like the one posted by @AyameShimitsu, "Calories in and out is all that matters when losing weight," are so incomplete that they are just wrong. I label them as being too simplistic because it is the same as saying, "eat less and exercise more." Straining to consume restricted amounts of the same old foods that caused obesity in the first place is prone to failure and leads to a lifetime of unhealthy yo-yo dieting with the added misfortune of being miserable and anxiety ridden for many.

Energy In <less> Energy Out is a simple mathematical formula that broadly describes a biological process with many complicated variables. Finding out the how and why causes of the in-balance for each of us individually is what really matters in making the changes needed to get the simple equation back into balance.
    Well nutritional value counts for something. I've seen people live off fast food and not really get fat, but they are always tired, they look like they age faster and have no energy. They don't really workout either but that may change some things if they did.
    I DO know that when I competed, to get down to single digit body fat percentage, I could absolutely eat no junk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I DO know that when I competed, to get down to single digit body fat percentage, I could absolutely eat no junk.

Same! The Junk always lit up the reward center of my brain and lead to an overeat - which is exactly what the JUNK foods are designed to do, so therefore, the brain worked perfectly.

• jmulgrew1
    jmulgrew1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A professor of nutrition wanted to prove that it is the total amount of calories that dictate weight loss. He lost weight eating junk food, but ran a calorie deficit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTi5ugF9Bdk