Best time to check bodyfat

Options
Hey guys, I got myself one of the Omron bodyfat percent readers and it gives me somewhat consistent numbers within about 1% range. Do you know when if the best time and condition to check for bodyfat percent with one? Before or after a workout, before or after drinking water, before bed or when waking up?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Any device used sure come with a manual that specifically states the conditions for optimum use.

If using BF% to judge results, then all that is needed is to keep all other variables the same between checks. So do it the same day of the week at the same time after X activity, etc.

If using BF% for competition purposes, you'll want to consult the manual and possibly practices the organization you're competing in/with has set.
  • cfgreear
    cfgreear Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Its just to judge personal results, so as long as I do it after the same workout each week and keep it consistent that will at least be pretty accurate? Cool thank you for the advice.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    cfgreear wrote: »
    Its just to judge personal results, so as long as I do it after the same workout each week and keep it consistent that will at least be pretty accurate? Cool thank you for the advice.

Yeah, just try and make it the same time etc. If its wrong by like 5%, but still shows you going down % every week, then its good results even with a bad measurement.
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Electrical impedance type body fat measuring devices, are poor at best, measure yourself, then drink a half litre of water and see how much it goes up!
    Calipers are ok to track if you are losing weight, but again, even when someone knows what they are doing, they can be off by at least 4% when trying to accurately measure body fat.
    Same with online calculators, they are all estimates based off weight, height and measurements.
    Dexa scan and hydrostatic weighing are the only real way of getting close to your true body fat.
    However give this one a go, it's the closest I found online after I had my Dexa.
    You'll need a tape measure (ideally a fabric one).
    https://fitmatic.com/c/calculators