Low Carb Red Wine

Options
Hi all, I love a nice glass of red wine with my suppers in the evening even though I'm in a calorie deficit, so I am looking for suggestions on low carb/calorie red wines that are actually enjoyable. I do enjoy the Skinny Girl brand but wanting to try something new. Let me know :)

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't know any but I am interested in what others post. For me, I make sure do enough exercise so I can fit in a glass of wine at dinner 115-135 calories and then some chocolate for after dinner and still be in a deficit. I also like to plan meals out to meet protein and fiber goals, but still have enough room for treats
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I tried that skinny wine once. It made me sad that they did that to grapes.
    Walk an extra 20 minutes and enjoy something exceptional.
    A glass of Meiomi is about to be savoured at my end :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    How do you define low-carb? (I mean, how many carbs can you have in your glass of wine?)
    A regular glass (five-ounce pour) of red wine has less than 4 carbs, which doesn't seem like much to me.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    My mom adds carbonated water to her wine to stretch it a bit. This would have the same effect as a "low carb/calorie" wine, I would think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How do you define low-carb? (I mean, how many carbs can you have in your glass of wine?)
    A regular glass (five-ounce pour) of red wine has less than 4 carbs, which doesn't seem like much to me.

Yeah, I was going to say. Wouldn't any dry red wine be low carb? How alcohol affects keto, dunno.

As for what's good, depends on your wine preferences. However, anything labeled "low carb" or "low cal" as a selling point I'd avoid like the plague, as it seems unlikely to me to be used on a wine anyone who cares about wine is drinking.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    try fitvine (https://fitvinewine.com/) - its lower calorie
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Most of the cals in wine comes from the alcohol. So, the lower the alcohol content of the wine and the less of it you drink, the lower the cals.

Most regular drinking wines are in the 12-14% range but there are a bit some lower and a bit higher. Fortified and desert wines, like port, have the highest alcohol content at around 16-20%

A 5 oz glass of red wine w/14% ABV contains about 111 cals in alcohol and about 15 cals (4 cals x 3.8g) in carbs (sugar) for a total of about 126 cals. There a little bit of protein in there too but the amount is negligible.

The way to measure alcohol cals starts w/159 cals per oz for pure ethanol; 158.81 cals to be exact. Multiply that number by the ABV% and then mutiply the product of that by the # of ounces consumed.

In the case of 5 oz glass of 14%ABV wine, that's: 159 x 0.14 x 5= 111.3 cals.

So, alcohol represents about 88% (111/126) of the calorie content in a 5 oz glass of 14% ABV wine, none of which has any nutritional value whatsoever and all of which has to be processed by your liver.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    “Low-carb wine”

If this is not illegal, it should be.