Looking to lose at least 30...

Options
Gngr09
Gngr09 Posts: 743 Member
edited March 2018 in Introduce Yourself
I am 5'3" and 3 weeks ago I weighed in at 186 lbs. which is the heaviest I have ever been. I decided at that time to make a drastic change in my life. My sister has a nutritionist that she sees regularly and she has her on a protein shake diet and so I decided to follow the same diet and start hiking up some major hills in my area every day that I can and I take two workout classes a week. I completely cut out carbs and sugar as well as every other drink besides water. (on occasion I may drink a propel or flavored water).
I am too afraid to step on the scale just yet, but I have had people tell me that I have lost several pounds, some say over 10 in the last few weeks. (the reason I am afraid is that I am hoping for a higher number of lbs. lost right now and it may not be that high so I am waiting to weigh in again until next week) The most important part is that I am feeling amazing lately, I have a ton of energy and I do not crave carbs or sugar.
I am hoping to lose 30 lbs. quickly and it looks like I am on track.
This app as well as a run/hiking tracker is helping me to track my food intake as well as exercise and I think it helps tremendously.
Anyone else out there have more ideas and recipes for me that will make it easier?
I am currently using the Premier Protein Shakes and bars and they definitely curb my appetite more than I had ever imagined.

Replies

• JoyfullMommy006
    JoyfullMommy006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Isn't it so much more fun when all the work is actually paying off?
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.
    No carbs.
    Protein shakes.
    Quick weight loss.
    Why the rush?

Ultimately-Long term weight loss is slow and steady. One pound a week.
    There are NO bad foods.
    CARBS are not the enemy.

Shakes and bars are fine short term, but it isn’t sustainable. It is of course your decision what path you choose.
    But realistically permanent Weight loss is a MARATHON NOT A SPRINT!!
  • Gngr09
    Options
    Thank you, I am working hard to get where I need to be then reintroducing more healthy foods back into my diet.
  • Bowsa
    Bowsa Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As above just be wary of being sure to form decent eating habits once you are done with your initial crash.

The last thing you want is to go through the pain and effort of losing a lot of weight to add it back by “reverting to type”

As above though, absolutely no need to cut carbs etc
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a debbie downer but what are you going to do differently when you meet your goal? you've embarked on a crash diet - a temporary plan that, unless you change your lifestyle, will lead to temporary results.

you made a drastic change in your life, but have you made a sustainable change?

are you going to stick to a liquid diet? are you going to continue to work out the same way?

don't do anything to lose weight that you're not willing to do forever.

eat the food you love, just less of it. do activity you enjoy and want to do.

if you want to lose weight "for now" forget i said anything, if you want to lose weight forever, start developing good and lasting habits.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Weight that is lost quickly always comes back unfortunately. You cannot have 30 lbs to lose without taking a realistic look at your past choices and making decisions based on better health for LIFE. A diet is not a temporary thing, it is the food that you fuel yourself with on a regular basis for the rest of your life.
    The hard work to get where you want to be is actually teaching yourself to eat more healthy, with appropriate portion sizes, and maintaining that for life. You need to introduce healthy foods NOW and get a balanced healthy approach to eating that you can easily maintain from now on.
    The "quick fix" to motivate you and to get some pounds off fast is also a quick way to backfire. Denying yourself or eating to low by protein shake meal replacements is not teaching you to live a more healthy balanced lifestyle. It is messing with your metabolism and teaching your sub conscience that denying food groups (carbs) and not eating (shake meal replacements instead of whole healthy food) is the way.
    Eating whole foods, and things you enjoy, will keep you from wanting to binge. Eating over 1200 calories per day, but within a calorie deficit each day and week will take the weight off but more importantly KEEP it off!
    I have lost 80 lbs in the last 15 months and in my history have tried every crazy gimmick, shake, and pill to lose weight.
    Nothing works but your determination to eat healthy and maintain a calorie deficit EVERY day.....you should only lose 1 to 2 lbs per week on average but those pounds will not return if you do it with healthy life long intentions.
  • Bowsa
    Bowsa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t necessarily agree with the notion that you shouldn’t start with a crash diet. As long as you’re acutely aware that you will need to work at a healthy maintenance diet at some point.

• tylerxedge
    tylerxedge Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs in two months in 2015 by eating what I wanted but by staying under around 1500 calories a day. I also had a job where I worked in a cold environment on my feet for 7 hours a day which I am sure helped a lot, but my point is you can eat whatever you want, as long as you meet the calorie goal. We're all different though, so this isn't 100% going to work for you, but it worked for me and others who took the journey with me.

I agree with some on here that carbs aren't the enemy. Carbs from fruits and vegetables are amazing. However, for me personally, cutting out gluten really helped me to lose an extra 20 lbs in the year following 2015.

Unfortunately, depression got to me in 2017 and i gained like 40 lbs. I've gone vegetarian and have lost 7 pounds already, so you could try the vegetarian lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

A disclaimer for my post because some of you guys like to nit pick, I am not a nutritionist, maybe what I do isn't correct, but it worked for me. I am just sharing what worked for me.

Thanks!
  • Gngr09
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Super excited this morning! I was wrong on my last weight that was recorded - I went in the doctor and they had me at weighing 195 two weeks ago. BUT the good news is that since March 19th - I HAVE LOST 12 LBS! I am so excited!