Time to change loss per week setting?

Options
Is there a rule of thumb on this? About me: I’m 62, 5’3”. I started in late January at 173 and as of today I’m 156. My goal range is 140-145 at the moment. I chose the 1 pound/week option and have done well with that. I guess what I’m asking is, when should I switch to 1/2 pound/week? Or is that not necessary? Thanks.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    MFP should change your calories as you decrease your weight. I think at this point you could switch to 0.5lb if you want.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    As long as you are updating your weight in the "check in" area, MFP will change your calories to meet your goal. If you haven't been updating in the check in page, then your new calorie level may or may not feel sustainable, and you can decide to decrease your deficit accordingly.

Edited to add: There is no "rule" about decreasing the loss rate to 1/2 pound a week, but if you are already eating at a low calorie level (age and activity level help determine this) then when you get closer to your goal weight, continuing to lower your calorie intake to maintain a 500 calorie/day average deficit may not be a healthy option.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yes there is a rule of thumb.

You switch to 0.5lbs per week when the deficit needed to lose 1lbs per week, i.e. 500cal, gets too big for you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The general guidance is that 0.5 lbs is best for the last 10 - 15 lbs, or when a larger deficit takes you under 1200 cals or leaves you too hungry. It also depends how lean your goal is - the leaner you're trying to get, the more important or necessary going slow is. Where all of those variables fall for you is individual. Congrats on your success so far!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!