Family & Friends Opinions on How You Look

Options
frankiesgirlie
frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I just got off the phone with a girlfriend that has started Jenny Craig, and yes, I tried to get her to log on MFP instead but she feels it’s too tedious.
She was complaining that her husband keeps bringing up that he doesn’t want her to get too skinny. To the point that it’s getting on her nerves. In all fairness, she did get super thin once, without realizing it, because she got so caught up with the lose,lose,lose and didn’t know when to stop.
But it got me thinking, does your significant other, family member or friend have ALOT of opinions of how you should look and/or what you should be or shouldn’t be doing?
My husband doesn’t obsess over it, but if he comes in the room when I’m doing an ab workout he either shakes his head or gets a worried look.
Why? Because he doesn’t like the look of a 6 pack on a woman. It cracks me up because nobody in my family has ever come anywhere close to even a 3 pack, it’s just not in our make up. I’d have to become super skinny every where else to ever have that little fat on my stomach. So it’s not even a thought.
So I pay no mind and continue my workout.
Do any of you get this? Do you pay any attention?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My husband was mainly concerned that I was going to lose in a healthy way and that my goal was healthy. He has never expressed any worries that I would look too skinny or muscular to be attractive to him.
    No one else has commented/cared/been concerned about my weight loss or appearance.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So far, my fiance has been supportive. He loves my body and curves, but he knows I need to be healthy and I'm far from it right now. I suspect things will be at least a little different or he might show more concern when I get to my goal weight. It will be a drastic, but positive, change for both of us.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses so far. I really appreciate it. I find human behavior fascinating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My husband expressed concern when I was at my lowest weight because he thought I was starting to look scrawny and my boobs had done a runner!

That weight wasn't sustainable but it was a weight I was happy with so who knows if I can make it sustainable again.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I get the don't get bigger comments all the time but, I love lifting and muscles are sexy. I hear it so much it doesn't bother me, I kinda expect it now.
  • LaidaPwn
    LaidaPwn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My hubby is really supportive. He encourages all my endeavors and even eats the same food as me. He doesn't eat junk around me and gave up pop.
    But since I had our baby in October he has initiated multiple conversations about me going to the gym. Secretly I know he is attracted to fit girls so dispite his best efforts I know he has an alterior motive lol.
    At least he doesn't complain about my dedication lol
  • Margee1965
    Margee1965 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My family and friends r so happy for me my daughters so pleased I have come so far got few friends that say you dnt Ned too loss more weight you going too far but I know what I want I will hit my target one day
  • frankiesgirlie
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has commented so far. Very interesting reading.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My husband is the best supporter in living a healthy life, that's kind of his whole focus anyway (before we met and currently)...I am very lucky to have someone who cooks delicious healthy food and is ALWAYS game for a walk, hike, bike ride, etc. He's also lost a lot of weight in the past and continues to struggle a bit with things like portion control. He doesn't use MFP anymore and I kind of miss the days when he did and I could just copy his meals over to my diary and make adjustments. But that's fine...he's focused more on strength & athletic pursuits than weight right now.

As for my looks though, he insists that he really doesn't have a preference from when we met to now (I'm down 100 lb) - he says he's glad for health markers that I'm at a better place, but he is mainly interested body wise in curves and I still have big hips/rear and chest hasn't changed much, he says he's happy I'm happy but he doesn't care either way aesthetically...I find that odd and frustrating, but I know I was very happy when we met that he was attracted to me and he seems more attracted six years later, so part of me thinks he's just being "nice"!? I will say, when he met me, I'd lost my first 30-40 lb already and that was the weight that I REALLY think made the biggest difference because I looked and felt my worst before losing that.

We really don't talk about it. Every once in awhile, he will get annoyed and roll his eyes when I eat 1/2 or 1/4 of a portion of something though. He is impressed that I've been maintaining in my goal range for years now but he's also kind of like "really?! That piece of chocolate isn't going to ruin you".