Knees + Kickboxing?

Options
Hi! I'm interested in taking a kickboxing class - however, I tore my lateral meniscus in both knees, with surgery on my right almost 15 months ago. I cannot pivot well, do sharp turning/cutting exercises (skiing, basketball, soccer) or do excessive high-impact cardio such as jumprope comfortably (I can run/sprint, squat, and pretty much everything else though!). It's a beginners kickboxing class - anyone out there have any experience with it? It looks so much fun!

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I would say give it a try. I love love LOVE kickboxing, especially for working out some of my extra aggression. I would say just take it slow at first, talk with the instructor about your knee issues and see how it goes, but honestly I don't see a reason why a beginer class would put any more strain on your knees than the running or squats.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm interested in taking a kickboxing class - however, I tore my lateral meniscus in both knees, with surgery on my right almost 15 months ago. I cannot pivot well, do sharp turning/cutting exercises (skiing, basketball, soccer) or do excessive high-impact cardio such as jumprope comfortably (I can run/sprint, squat, and pretty much everything else though!). It's a beginners kickboxing class - anyone out there have any experience with it? It looks so much fun!
    There's tons of pivoting and sharp turning exercises in kick boxing, so I don't know... Watch some kick boxing workouts on youtube and see if you feel comfortable with the moves. I would also recommend you ask your doctor about starting it. It's tricky, in some cases it can improve knee motion, in some it can destroy it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender/search?query=kickboxing

Also, try yoga, it's done wonders for me, opening and strengthening all joints. I'd risk saying that yoga is a must if you want to be successful at kick boxing.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am a kickboxercise instructor and would expect my PAR-Q to highlight you as a 'at risk' client. As has been said there is a lot of pivoting and shifting of weight on each knee.

I am not sure if I would advise you against joining (you aren't stood in front of me asking to join my sessions) but I would ask you to go to your GP/physio and check with them, and to sign the PAR-Q saying you had checked and would inform me of any pain during each session.

Have a chat with the instructor you are planning to join. If they don't suggest a GP check, walk away and find another who does. You want someone who is aware of your possible restrictions so that you can discuss your progress in a more informed manner.

Good luck.