REALLY EARLY Workout Ideas

I lost my job about 6 months ago, which is how I got into fitness. I started working out every day (or any day for that matter lol!) for the first time in my life. And I really love it!

I just started a new job this week and it is extremely early morning hours. I will be up by 3:30 or 4AM to get to work. I really can't wake up much earlier than that, so my normal morning workout will have to move to the afternoon. But I still want some morning movement; maybe 15 minutes while the coffee is brewing and the computer is booting up.

I was thinking perhaps some core work (sit ups, push ups), perhaps some dumbell reps. Nothing too jarring for the insanely early mornings, just something to get the blood flowing. Any suggestions? I could put together my own workout, but I'm really not knowledgeable enough yet to know how to bring balance to a workout.

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    If you just want to do something to get moving, you don't need a workout routine that is necessarily balanced. Just do something that you'd want to do in the morning. If you want to mix it up though, you could write different exercise on slips of paper and drop them in a jar. Choose 5 and run through them all 3 times a each. You do things like 20 jumping jacks, 20 sit ups, 20 push ups, 1 minute wall sit, 20 squats, 10 burpees, 1 minute high knee run, 1 minute plank, 20 lunges, 10 curls, 10 overhead presses etc. It'll keep you guessing and you'll get a fun but quick warm up every morning.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited March 2018
    Lifting my coffee mug and first of all swinging my legs outa bed and touching the floor with my feet. :p:p

woo me if you must bwhahahahahaha
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Can you workout after work? I don't prefer to go to the gym after work, but 1 day a week I go around 430pm. Twice a week, I go around 530am.

If you really have only 15 minutes in the AM, maybe you could find a workout video (1 that preferably incorporates weights). Jillian Michaels probably has something.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    If you're just looking for a wakeup routine.

I'd suggest something like Geoff Neupert and Tim Anderson's Reset drills.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    I’m a fan of Fitness Blender’s videos - they have a bunch of videos in the 15 minute range at a variety of difficulty levels. I’ll often pop one of their warm up or low intensity cardio videos on when I want a quick wake up boost. Their website lets you sort by difficulty level, equipment, and length, among other things, so it’s pretty easy to find something that fits.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited March 2018
    Why do you feel the need to have a 15 minute workout in the morning? You will be working out after work after all.

IDK if your really need to do something, make your bed, stand up during breakfast, dust the living room, put the dishes away (plenty of overhead work there) if you just need to move in the morning.
  • gratefulgb
    gratefulgb Posts: 7 Member
    How about yoga or stretching to wake you up but not make you totally sweat. A quick walk or walking/light cardio DVD to get you moving.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Quick body weight exercises are pretty convenient to do right out of bed. You can easily squeeze in a reasonable amount of sets while getting ready in the morning.
  • mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks everyone! I've barely been on the computer the last week, as I'm getting used to the schedule and have been pretty wiped out by the end of the day. I'm just seeing your responses now. Some really good ideas on here, including the cleaning idea. I've just become so accustomed to morning activity, I've found that I no longer feel quite "right" if I don't challenge my body a little in the morning. That's a pretty good place in life for me to be =)