Tips for working from home

Options
Earlier this year I quit my office job to undertake further training and start my own business. Now that I'm in the 'busienss development' phase I'm home alone with the rabbit 5 days a week.

Any tips on staying motivated - both in terms of eating, exercising, and getting work done?

Any other MFP'ers working from home out there?

Belle

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Exercising can be done where you are. I've heard of exercises that you can do right at (or near) your desk.

Leg lifts and deep knee bends would fit into this category.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercise, do some dancing or watch some exercise video,,
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am a work at home person. For the most part, I get up early and do all my workout first thing. I walk if the weather is nice. If it isn't I take advantage of all the exercise available via YouTube. I especially like Zumba and doing the Hula. I always have a plan for my day, even if it is a simple outline. My problem is that I get so engrossed in what I do, that I forget to eat and that's not good. So I have started to set the alarm on my phone so I remember to make meals.

I am also not tied to my house. I can work from just about anywhere, so I do go to the bookstore or cafe and do work there also. Since it has been so nice out, I love sitting outdoors by the fountain. The sound of the water is soothing and I get some of my best work done there.

It used to be that snacking was my downfall. I would have boxes and bags of snack foods available. Now, as soon as I am finished working out in the morning, I portion out whatever snacks I will have for that day. I love water with lime so I buy big bags of limes and filter two gallons of water and put in the refrigerator. I bought a good travel mug that keeps things hot or cold for hours and I use it at home. That way I never ruin anything by spilling.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Like a Previous Poster, I work from home, cafe's, book stores, the airport, etc. I get up early and get my exercise done OR I calendar in a gym class for weights or yoga. NOTHING gets in the way of the workouts so I make sure to schedule them in my calendar and during a time that I probably won't be interrupted with work issues.

I also have a smart phone to work off of if I don't have my computer with me. I get my work email directly on my phone.

Be careful about trying to do it all--meaning housework, chores, kids and work. You cannot do it all at once. Prioritize, calendar and be flexible but do not expect miracles!

Lastly, it's really difficult to work with my kids in the house. When they are home during breaks and vacations, my ex and I work together to clear time for me to work sans kids.
  • calebshaw1
    calebshaw1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cant advise you to listen to Tony Robbins highly enough - if you follow his audio books to the letter - you wont have to worry about motivation - I'm a road based rep, on average I leave at 4.30am, I thought I didn't have the time to exercise until I listened to his material....... Its essentially all about goal setting and meaningful targets... but not in a scary unrealistic draconic way.
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am a work at home person.
    <snip> . I always have a plan for my day, even if it is a simple outline. My problem is that I get so engrossed in what I do, that I forget to eat and that's not good. So I have started to set the alarm on my phone so I remember to make meals.

I am also not tied to my house. I can work from just about anywhere, so I do go to the bookstore or cafe and do work there also. Since it has been so nice out, I love sitting outdoors by the fountain. The sound of the water is soothing and I get some of my best work done there.

It used to be that snacking was my downfall. I would have boxes and bags of snack foods available. Now, as soon as I am finished working out in the morning, I portion out whatever snacks I will have for that day. I love water with lime so I buy big bags of limes and filter two gallons of water and put in the refrigerator. I bought a good travel mug that keeps things hot or cold for hours and I use it at home. That way I never ruin anything by spilling.

Thanks, those are some great ideas. So good to know I am not the only one struggling with this new way of working/living/MFPing.
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Like a Previous Poster, I work from home, cafe's, book stores, the airport, etc. I get up early and get my exercise done OR I calendar in a gym class for weights or yoga. NOTHING gets in the way of the workouts so I make sure to schedule them in my calendar and during a time that I probably won't be interrupted with work issues.

<snip>
    Be careful about trying to do it all--meaning housework, chores, kids and work. You cannot do it all at once. Prioritize, calendar and be flexible but do not expect miracles!

<snip>

Thanks for your tips, they're great. I go swimming with my mum once a week and go to a yoga class once a week, so I have that part down pat. I do feel the need to add in a daily walk/exercise. I used to walk to and from work most days, so I need to replace that with something.