Turkey Bacon VS Pork Bacon?????

Options

Replies

• SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Canadian Bacon and Peameal back are different. I say this as a Canadian living in the US. My neighbors think its funny that in canada we don't have Canadian bacon. Canadian bacon is as you said ham. Peameal bacon is back bacon (almost like a roast) that has been rolled in corn meal. Its fantastic!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Canadian Bacon and Peameal back are different. I say this as a Canadian living in the US. My neighbors think its funny that in canada we don't have Canadian bacon. Canadian bacon is as you said ham. Peameal bacon is back bacon (almost like a roast) that has been rolled in corn meal. Its fantastic!

I pan sear a piece of peameal with oinions until the onions are just caramelized and throw it together on a whole grain tortilla..a little honey mustard...it's pure heaven!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I get slab bacon from the Meat Market and it has no nitrates or nitrites which are the preservatives that keep it from spoiling........

I just bring it home and pack it in portions so I can freeze it and then thaw when needed.............

I tried turkey bacon back in my low fat, low calorie days and I would rather eat shoe leather than to eat that stuff...........

I have to agree, the leaner the turkey bacon is the worst it tastes. I eat pork bacon regularly and just include it in my calorie planning.
  • Raskent
    Raskent Posts: 1
    Options
    One thing about turkey bacon you have to know how to cook it. You can't go wrong with turkey bacon cooked in the oven, at 350.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    One thing about turkey bacon you have to know how to cook it. You can't go wrong with turkey bacon cooked in the oven, at 350.

That's how I cook my pork bacon also. It is a thousand times better than pan frying.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    From the perspective of fat and calories- turkey bacon has fewer, but watch out for the additives and sodium in turkey bacon!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    From what I am reading there is no difference in the fat content. What is the benefit?

There would be no benefit in my eyes since I don't eat processed food.

Turkey bacon = highly processed and disgusting

Pork bacon = sliced pork belly, natural and delicious.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I heard that technically pork is the better choice. Granted they are both processed the pork is LESS processed and more wholesome with less of the chemicals than the turkey...just buy a lean pork bacon. I love the kind they have at whole foods for some reason

You can get unprocessed pork bacon that is merely sliced pork belly. I add my own salt and peper and it is delicious.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference in fat and calorie content! I agree though that the additives can be a problem. I see that you are Paleo, in which case we look more at ingredients than macronutrients.

I don't eat pork products (for non-dietary reasons) so turkey bacon is the obvious choice, otherwise pork bacon wouldn't bother me. Either way, I suggest buying uncured bacon, with no added nitrates.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Turkey Bacon is an insult to bacon
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I won't sacrifice my pork bacon....No matter how bad it is, everything in moderation.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've been loving those 3 lb packages of "bacon ends". I think Wright makes them. There is a lot more fat, but that's not really a problem for me. I'm not afraid of saturated fat, and I usually save the drippings to cook with, so it's really a win-win. I'm sure they are full of nasty preservatives, but those 3 lb packages of bacon ends have really filled a niche in my kitchen: quick breakfast/snack, plenty of drippings for cooking with, and the "ends" themselves are really great in all sorts of recipes. My husband threw some in with some red potatoes and onions the other morning, and it was wonderful. I've put them on top of chicken to roast in the oven or on top of a meatloaf during baking. And they're cheap. Seriously loving the bacon ends.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    From what I am reading there is no difference in the fat content. What is the benefit?
    Turkey bacon ISN'T bacon. Pork ONLY!!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    THIS. There is no SUBSTITUTE for REAL BACON!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • candycgill
    Options
    I started using a tempe bacon. Good flavour, no cholesterol.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

TRUE!! I prefer to think of food as "everything in moderation" and since I don't eat it every day...or even every week...when I do eat it, I want the real stuff!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Bacon bacon? Tastes amazing.

Turkey bacon? Tastes like it will never return to my fridge.
  • Farnorka
    Farnorka Posts: 1
    Options
    Low sodium turkey bacon has less calories and sodium! It tastes really good
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depending on the Type
    Here Is A Comparision

Pork Bacon Per 2 Slices Turkey Bacon Per 2 Slices
    Calories 190 Calories 70 Calories
    Fat 18g 6g
    Saturated 7g 2g
    Cholesterol 40mg 30mg
    Sodium 180mg 510mg
    Potassium 190mg 0
    Carbohydrate 1g 1g
    Protein 7g 4g

There is definietly a benefit from a calorie point of view to choose Turkey over Pork
    As for the taste they are almost the same less all the grease

Never seen 190 calories for 2 slices of bacon before... Typically it's 30ish a slice.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried canadian bacon? peameal..it's fantastic, and a better option to either bacons you mentioned..and it's sooo yummy!

What is canadian bacon? I've always been curious and now even more so hahaha educate us deprived little Australians/Brits!
    It's a cured, smoked pork tenderloin. Traditional bacon is made from the back fat which is basically fat.
    I don't like turkey bacon. It tastes like chemicals to me. I'd prefer a partial slice of good organic bacon or some lean ham/Canadian bacon. I use it to flavor things like beans, southern peas and soups. I also love making "egg mcmuffins, with Canadian bacon.