Are Macros As Important As Calories?

Options
Hello!
SO I do really well counting my cico, and I 90% of the time meet my goal, but I don't always hit the macros right. Sometimes I got over on protein or sugar or carbs, even though my total calorie count is at my goal.
Is going over on a macro going to effect my weight loss if my calorie intake is still under or at my goal for the day?

Replies

• MsAndieMarie
    MsAndieMarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I only look at macros leading up to big triathlons to make sure I have enough fuel pre-, during, and post- race. After that, on any other days,.......CICO!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am on the free account where it is by % and in maintenance all 3 are well over recommended minimums. For my weight, I need a little under 60g of protein. My computed goal is around 95 + whatever the exercise calories add. So I try to make sure it goes over 60 but I don't feel compelled to get to 95.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    What everybody else said.

Just a note: Sugar is not a macro. Sugar is a carbohydrate.

Every day I get a little notification that I am going over on sugar because I eat so much fruit and I have a little junk in there; I got so used to certain meal choices while losing that now I am sometimes looking for snacks to add enough so I don't keep losing. Anyway, as long as you aren't diabetic and aren't coming up short on macros because you eat too much sugar, going over the suggested max on it is no big deal.
  • Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    TynaBaby17 wrote: »
    Hello!
    SO I do really well counting my cico, and I 90% of the time meet my goal, but I don't always hit the macros right. Sometimes I got over on protein or sugar or carbs, even though my total calorie count is at my goal.
    Is going over on a macro going to effect my weight loss if my calorie intake is still under or at my goal for the day?

Macros is what makes up your calories
  • genchiyu
    genchiyu Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Going over on a macro won't effect your weight loss if your calorie intake is still under or at your goal for the day.
    That is if your only goal for now is to lose weight.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    But the confusing thing about sugar and carbs on mfp is that the feedback in my diary often shows I am coming up short on carbs, but I am over on sugar.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Not in terms of weight loss, but if you are eating plant based, or you're strength training, it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on your protein.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    But the confusing thing about sugar and carbs on mfp is that the feedback in my diary often shows I am coming up short on carbs, but I am over on sugar.

To be fair, I don't look at sugar. Sugar isn't as bad as people make them to be. Carbs for me takes way more priority over sugar in my POV.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it's all calories.

Balanced macros are about nutrition amd health. If you're variably a little under or over one or another macro on different days, don't sweat it unless you want to establish tight nutritional goals (for athletic performance, because of health conditions, whatever).

If you're persistently, consistently, significantly under on either protein or fats, work on getting a little closer more of the time. If you're under on carbs, don't worry about it at all, unless your energy level is sub-par.