Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 I guessed wrong and my joke was lame but I got to use a culinary term. We are close in age though.

It is not my original. I changed it to this before entering the forums. Thanks though.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends, Just sat down after a productive day. At work today , I thought back to last fall. I remember feeling incredibly nauseous one morning at work, and asking the lady in the next room if she had some mints or something. I said to her "Yeah, I think I may have a touch of the flu." But , I knew deep down it was the wine flu! I've taught several time with severe headaches and nausea and would live for lunch to get a cheeseburger to chase the hangover away. I am so grateful not to have had that for the last few months.

@donimfp That January thread was hot. We were all very motivated and determined. I remember that momentum was great. And yes, the 10 days reward bracelet I bought myself is still on my wrist every day. I remember how hard it was to get to day 10! I love your idea of marking on your calendar motivational words on those significant days. You're so right about how good you'll look- skin bright and not puffy, tummy flatter, etc. I know you can do it! You did before and you can do it again. Just work through those cravings.

I think some advice for all the beginners on our thread is that the first few weeks of abstaining are very hard. You feel like you are being punished. You feel anxious, depressed, left out of letting yourself go to happy hour or have your favorite drinks on the weekends, but then magically after about a few weeks, you start to notice, how happy you feel. How refreshed you wake up in the morning. How less anxious and deprived you feel.

The brain and body are getting back to your old self before you had alcohol. Those toxins are being cleared and your brain chemistry is changing for the good. We all know that alcohol makes us more anxious, not less. One way to view it is that you're doing a 21 day cleanse. Just like you would for your diet, do a 21 days alcohol cleanse. And then you can decide if you want to moderate or drink less than you used to. I'm just rambling right now..... sending all of your courage to meet your individual goals if abstaining , moderating or just changing your normal routine. xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    It's 5:30early here in California, and happy to be awake in time to get an early start on this beautiful day! I am not taking this wonderful feeling for granted. I want to thank you all for your unselfish shares, your thoughts and stories. We are on this journey together to a better life, still with its struggles, but comforting to know that we can come here everyday to talk about it, without judgement. <3

Happy you got up and enjoyed the day! Love sharing this journey with you.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Last night I decided to add AF beer to my evening. I drank 4, then switched to my regular brand (my plan). While it wasn't a news breaking event, I did drink less than my daily goal. I think next time I will start with my beer and switch after a set number. Victory. :)

Less alcohol is less alcohol in your body. That's great progress and you saved calories in the form of sugar. Small victories are wonderful!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969 I guessed wrong and my joke was lame but I got to use a culinary term. We are close in age though.

It is not my original. I changed it to this before entering the forums. Thanks though.

I liked your joke! Made me smile!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    @julie you are awesome. Thank you for these wise words tonight. <3
  • lstamour79
    lstamour79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Girl you’re a rockstar
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    So my drink allowance day is 3 days away. I have been ill since last Sunday night and I am not even sure of the cause anymore. I have not eaten enough all week and I am extremely irritated. There is a part of me that definitely wants to skip and wait for May 6th there is another justifying the drink in spades because I can easily afford the calories and it is "allowed".

I don't expect any replies. I am the only one who can make this decision based on what I know or hope I know about myself. I am just throwing it out there to see if it helps me somehow.

The one thing I definitely know about myself is that I only have to hold out until Sunday night at 9:00 PM if I don't want to drink. After that the allowance expires. It is a hard and fast rule that I never break. In fact, each night at 9:00 that I don't indulge and I notice it on the clock I sigh a bit of relief.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So my drink allowance day is 3 days away. I have been ill since last Sunday night and I am not even sure of the cause anymore. I have not eaten enough all week and I am extremely irritated. There is a part of me that definitely wants to skip and wait for May 6th there is another justifying the drink in spades because I can easily afford the calories and it is "allowed".

I don't expect any replies. I am the only one who can make this decision based on what I know or hope I know about myself. I am just throwing it out there to see if it helps me somehow.

The one thing I definitely know about myself is that I only have to hold out until Sunday night at 9:00 PM if I don't want to drink. After that the allowance expires. It is a hard and fast rule that I never break. In fact, each night at 9:00 that I don't indulge and I notice it on the clock I sigh a bit of relief.

Insightful, I hope it helped.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    A friend brought this to my attention today. Really good read. 'Binge drinking has become completely normalized': Has boozy mom culture gone too far?
    “Mommy’s wine has become a pop culture trend, a marketer’s dream and a hashtag,” said Dr. Crystal Tennille Clark, a psychiatrist and assistant professor at Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine who specializes in women’s health. “I do think we’re losing sight of what a problem (drinking) could be. Many people, whether they’re men or women, don’t appreciate the risks of drinking.”

This was a good read. I think that moms have always drank in the 50s 60s and 70s they just did it in the closet. Social media puts it out there in the open so now it seems to be more acceptable.
  • runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    A friend brought this to my attention today. Really good read. 'Binge drinking has become completely normalized': Has boozy mom culture gone too far?
    “Mommy’s wine has become a pop culture trend, a marketer’s dream and a hashtag,” said Dr. Crystal Tennille Clark, a psychiatrist and assistant professor at Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine who specializes in women’s health. “I do think we’re losing sight of what a problem (drinking) could be. Many people, whether they’re men or women, don’t appreciate the risks of drinking.”

Good article. I think that by normalizing it now, there are women who probably drink more than they would if they were home alone. Now, there are painting wine parties at local bars and events like that to get women's business. I also think back to the shows like Mad Men and see that this toxin was just as popular. I dont know what to think.

I had a dream last night. I ordered a vodka at a bar in the dream, Drank it straight and then said "oh no, I forgot I wasnt drinking."

Tonight, I took myself out for mexican food and watched the women at the bar drinking margaritas. All I could think of was how many calories are in those. And they weren't the good margs, they were the ones made with a mix and tequila premade. Now, I did consider for a brief moment ordering a shot of Tequila. LOL But I stuck with water. I'm feeling alittle depressed this evening. I feel like I have not outlet for stress besides long walks and tea. It's just one of those evenings, it will pass. I need to pick up a new hobby I think like our friend Mary Beth who started to learn guitar.

It also doesn't help that my husband has been drinking more lately. He never did that before but it is escalating for some reason. We don't talk about it , but I am observing tonight: two beers, two scotches so far.. and that doesnt count what he probably drank while I went for a long walk. To each his own. Like someone said on the thread earlier, I'm not going to preach to him.

Same here too Julie with my spouse. I keep hoping to be leading by example, and he will finally come around. I hope the same for you as well.