Weight gain from cold?

Hi everyone,

I've been consistently losing about 1 or 2 lbs/week for the last few weeks. I weigh in every Friday. I've been eating ~2300 calories and working out 4-5 days/week (weight training/some cardio). This week, I caught a cold (began Monday AM and still not back to 100%). I still ate about the same and worked out the same amount this week. I weighed in this Friday and was expecting to lose at least 1 lb, but gained 1.5lbs.

I'm not stressing over the 1.5lb weight gain, but just wondering for my own knowledge whether anyone else has experienced weight gain (probably due to water retention?) while being sick.

Thanks!

Replies

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Inflammation makes you hold on to water, so that can very easily be the cause. Also, being sick I assume you might have moved less, but this is not likely to cause much weight gain ;)
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Thanks! The strange thing is usually when I'm sick, I lose weight, but this time I gained...hmmm..
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Thanks! The strange thing is usually when I'm sick, I lose weight, but this time I gained...hmmm..

Having a fever or being sick in general can often lead you dehydrated as well if you don't remember to drink. So I would say gaining is a better sign really
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Good to know, thank you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    nope, you didn't gain weight from having a cold. Now just focus on getting well and get back to it. Weight fluctuations are normal.