How much to lose to fit in one pant size down?

Options
2»

Replies

• JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say as someone who makes/designs clothing for a living it really is subjective from person to person. People honestly carry their weight in different places, not to mention that the way weight is distributed is different depending on muscle vs fat. For example, the last time I weighed in I was 184 lbs, waist measurement is 34" and my pant size right now is a 12 (which are rapidly becoming too large). I will post a picture below to give you an idea. racym6j8rrp4.jpg
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I would think that's impossible to say - everyone carries their weight differently and every brand of clothing sizes differently in my experience.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You want to weigh 125?!! She's 5'5" and probably in her early 70s.

I often come across older people who believe the ideal weight formula (for women) is 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and then an additional 5 pounds for each inch. I wonder if this was passed on as conventional wisdom for certain generations?

I also see some people who've been overweight for most of their lives use that formula to pick their ideal weight when they're not yet sure how they'll look/feel at lower weights.

Personally, that formula doesn't work for me. I get too scrawny at about 10 pounds above it. 15-20 pounds above it is what works best on my frame and has me in a size 4 (5 in juniors - I'm short ;)).

Was 100 pounds for first 5 feet, then 3 pounds per inch for women, 100 pounds for first 5 feet, 5 pounds for additional inches for men for a long time. It was started by insurance companies, then government changed it a little, probably where the 5 pounds per inch for women came from.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different! I have found it a mixed blessing how much weight I can lose without changing clothing sizes (I guess I'm saving money?). To be fair, I wear a lot of knits and skirts with elastic, and was very close to sizing out of a 16 when I hit my top weight, but still! For jeans, I was wearing size 16-18 from 208 to 180, and am still comfortably wearing the same size 14s after losing another 20-25 lbs.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Interesting info @corinasue1143 , thank you.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You want to weigh 125?!! She's 5'5" and probably in her early 70s.

I often come across older people who believe the ideal weight formula (for women) is 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and then an additional 5 pounds for each inch. I wonder if this was passed on as conventional wisdom for certain generations?

It was, in fact! The old insurance company height-weight charts were based on that as a given. And I'm 5'5" (well. . .5' 4.5") and I look best at 125. I'm now pushing 57 and my body has pretty much decided that it wants to be 200 pounds, but that's only been the case for the last decade: I wandered back and forth between 120 and 150 for most of my adult life.