Ravenous after attending a concert standing!

Options
I am wondering about the calories burned standing at a concert. I usually will be swaying or bouncing to the beat a little but not full out dancing (it's a metal concert).

I've looked at previous posts where people said it is negligible amount added, but I can't wrap my head around that.
When concert finishes, I'm usually beyond starving no matter how much I try to eat beforehand. On several occasions, I have gone past hungry, past having hunger pains, in the state of feeling pretty poorly like I want to keel over (which of course at this point I leave the front line and go find somewhere to sit and food).

That combined with my body feels tired afterwards, I find it hard to believe I am only burning negligible to 100 extra calories for standing for 4-5 hours.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I would still say negligible. Eat if you are hungry but don’t think you earned extra calories. Just call it a bonus. Did you have fun? That’s the most important.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You will probably be burning an extra 150 calories compared to being sat down even before the added movements. Personally if I went 5 hours during the day without food I would be ravenous even if I had been sat down.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking during that time?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    no drinking during that time
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    no drinking during that time

Probably dehydration then, rather than actual hunger
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Only calories burned during a show are while headbanging...
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Only calories burned during a show are while headbanging...

I've logged moshing as HIIT before, lol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I know people were joking about passing around stuff making you have the munchies but I can't help but wonder if maybe a secondhand buzz could be part of the post-show hunger?

I never know how to log stuff like that either, even though I am set to sedentary & log a lot of small activities. When I went to a six hour show a few months ago, I danced pretty hard for like 2 hours of that and just stood with swaying etc, for the rest...I felt as exhausted physically as I do from a day of hiking. I ate fried fish with sides and a slice of cheesecake before going, and just drank water after. I was down a little the next day. So I think it definitely burned more calories than I would have expected.
  • ap1972
    Options
    I know people were joking about passing around stuff making you have the munchies but I can't help but wonder if maybe a secondhand buzz could be part of the post-show hunger?

I never know how to log stuff like that either, even though I am set to sedentary & log a lot of small activities. When I went to a six hour show a few months ago, I danced pretty hard for like 2 hours of that and just stood with swaying etc, for the rest...I felt as exhausted physically as I do from a day of hiking. I ate fried fish with sides and a slice of cheesecake before going, and just drank water after. I was down a little the next day. So I think it definitely burned more calories than I would have expected.

I went to an all day event yesterday, I wasn't particularly hungry at any point but I ate a pizza midway through the day and ended up going over calories mainly due to a couple of beers. I have however been constantly peckish today.

Perhaps it is due to an increase in adrenaline causing an increase in metabolism.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I actually posted this question, before I went to the concert based on all my previous concert experiences. However this time I felt fine, which was great and unusual and made the concert experience much more enjoyable.

I think one thing I noticed was this venue was much much cooler. I think standing for so long in a really hot room has pretty high negative impact on me. Hot venue means dehydration + adrenaline + lack of food = not so great feeling.

But I still think I am burning more than someone who is just standing, because of all the hand waving my arm and shoulder is sore, my abs and back are sore from bracing myself against the front barrier so I didn't get squashed into it, legs are sore too. So basically everything, but definitely was worth it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    fwiw, i find my hunger's not totally linear. and definitely not tied directly to burn, or i think i'd have a lot more hunger going on than i actually do a lot of the time.

but i've been doing a lot of pretty mundane yardwork and house-related things at my dad's lately, and i'm definitely noticing that new/unaccustomed activity often makes me ravenous in ways that don't correlate to the calories burned. and that aren't like the burn/hunger relationships i've already been used to from my existing workouts.

• ap1972
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    I actually posted this question, before I went to the concert based on all my previous concert experiences. However this time I felt fine, which was great and unusual and made the concert experience much more enjoyable.

I think one thing I noticed was this venue was much much cooler. I think standing for so long in a really hot room has pretty high negative impact on me. Hot venue means dehydration + adrenaline + lack of food = not so great feeling.

But I still think I am burning more than someone who is just standing, because of all the hand waving my arm and shoulder is sore, my abs and back are sore from bracing myself against the front barrier so I didn't get squashed into it, legs are sore too. So basically everything, but definitely was worth it.

You are definitely burning more than just standing, fidgeting has been given as a reason for burning extra calories and what you would have been doing is far more effective exerting
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Maybe a contact high gave you the munchies?
    Damn! Beat me to it.