Can anyone help/advise me?

Options
Hi all,

So after a few years on MFP, I have taken the leap and joined a gym! (I can slowly see the weight creeping back, add that to my lack of motivation and over-eating, and obviously the scales are going UP)

My first day at the gym is today.... I would love it if someone could give me a very basic workout plan of what I should be doing...

I am not fit... at all!! I have very little stamina and upper body strength!

Want to lots of cardio to begin with to try lose some lbs.... (I have been told 4 days cardio, 2 days weights?)

Want to spend around 1 hr per session in the gym.

Taking these into consideration, can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• T_ThomasXOXO
    Options
    Do be overwhelmed by all the information. The workout plan they give is basic and easy to follow. You can go back and read how/why it all works later if you're interested. It's good information.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that! :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Well done on taking that step and signing up!

Cardio is mostly personal preference. If you are just trying to lose weight then all you need is a calorie deficit. This can be achieved by simply eating less, or by adding in cardio to create the deficit.

If you want to increase strength, read Starting Strength as a good starting point. It'll teach you about form and give a good beginner programme for strength training. As a beginner you should aim to do a full body strength training workout 3 x per week. If you want to do cardio then do that on the alternate days, or add in after your strength workout if time allows.

Alternative programmes include Strong Lifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well done on taking that step and signing up!

Cardio is mostly personal preference. If you are just trying to lose weight then all you need is a calorie deficit. This can be achieved by simply eating less, or by adding in cardio to create the deficit.

If you want to increase strength, read Starting Strength as a good starting point. It'll teach you about form and give a good beginner programme for strength training. As a beginner you should aim to do a full body strength training workout 3 x per week. If you want to do cardio then do that on the alternate days, or add in after your strength workout if time allows.

Alternative programmes include Strong Lifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Thanks for that!

Im trying to create a bigger calorie deficit by joining the gym/doing cardio, once iv dropped a few (like 28) more lbs.... I then want to start toning and conditioning my body (Hope im using the right words and terms here!! Haha)

I'll defo read into that :-) Big thanks! x