Vegan

Options
Who lived Vegan too? And why?
I lived since 9 years Vegan. For the animals.

Replies

• Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm interested in being vegan.
    I have completed Kris Carr's 28 day detox last June and planning to get back to it around june- july this year.
    I found its a lot easier on my stomach, being gluten free, dairy free, .. and found being meat free for a while even better.
    I was stuggling with alcohol living with alcoholics and continual social drinkers but now after being in the less alcohol day at a time feed its really heloed me to think twice b4 i do anything silly.

I have lot of recipes i can share of interested.
  • jodiecameron17
    jodiecameron17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been vegan for the past year for both ethical and health reasons. I have way more energy eating this way and think plant based is the healthiest way to eat.

I eat mainly whole foods and base my meals around fruit and vegetables with beans, lentils potatoes or grains like oats and quinoa.
    Then additional things like Hummus, avocados, chia seeds, nut butters, tofu etc but not daily.

I eat large amounts of veg etc as it’s less calorie dense.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over a year -- no meat, poultry, eggs, fish, dairy. No sugar and no oil. Almost no salt -- I occasionally make ferments, and have used salt in those a couple of times.

I took it on after doing research and coming across the work of people like Dr. Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live).

The excess weight has come off, and I feel so much healthier!
  • cathyd1031
    cathyd1031 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just celebrated my two year vegan-versary on June 17! However - vegan is NOT always synonymous with healthy, so I'm back to plant based with zero junk. I am currently only raw fruits and veggies, but will eventually add back in cooked grains and legumes.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian, but I cook a lot of vegan recipes. (Long story short, I'm also strictly kosher and married to a meat eater. It gets complicated at the dinner table, since we can't mix meat and dairy. Most vegetarian cookbooks are over 50% dairy. Vegan cookbooks don't give me that problem. So I buy more vegan cookbooks...)
  • Mary_T30
    Mary_T30 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How does a newbie too the vegetarian lifestyle ease ones way into vegetarian? I'm nervous I will have tummy problems but want to transition to the healthiest part. Any advice is grateful. Willing to learn
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    The only reason you might have stomach issues (assuming you don't add a bunch of new foods you have issues with) is increasing fiber dramatically.

I'd start just by switching one meal at a time, if you are quite far from vegetarian now (are you going for vegetarian or vegan?). I'd also start increasing higher fiber foods more gradually -- if you aren't, eat more veg, whole grains, and add in a serving of beans.
  • Powerclean2deadlift
    Powerclean2deadlift Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I’ve been vegan for the past year for both ethical and health reasons. I have way more energy eating this way and think plant based is the healthiest way to eat.

I eat mainly whole foods and base my meals around fruit and vegetables with beans, lentils potatoes or grains like oats and quinoa.
    Then additional things like Hummus, avocados, chia seeds, nut butters, tofu etc but not daily.

I eat large amounts of veg etc as it’s less calorie dense.

I was wondering what it is about eating meat that gives you less energy?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for about two years and have been vegetarian for a little more than a decade since. It's been all about animal welfare for me (which is how I ended up being a fat junk food vegan at the time). It's common to get some stomach rumblings early on if you haven't been eating a lot of fiber from the shock to the system. More fiber is good, but it can make your stomach upset if you're not used to it (and can make you more gassy as well, especially if you're eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables). My wife eats meat, but I do all of the cooking, so we eat mostly vegetarian at home and she mostly gets meat when we go out.
  • denisemarch1969
    denisemarch1969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I’m vegan! Feel so healthy and love the fact I’m saving animals lives. I really want to learn to cook some of the lovely vegan meals I see, I just need patience.... 😋
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    cathyd1031 wrote: »
    Just celebrated my two year vegan-versary on June 17! However - vegan is NOT always synonymous with healthy, so I'm back to plant based with zero junk. I am currently only raw fruits and veggies, but will eventually add back in cooked grains and legumes.

How much protein are you getting while eating raw? Do you sprout legumes?

Some long-time, dedicated, ethical vegan friends of mine did raw for a few months, but they eventually concluded it was unhealthy and unsustainable for them.