1 month to lose . . . as much as I can

Options
flopadoo
flopadoo Posts: 4 Member
So, simple scenario I expect many have been in.

I'm overweight. I booked a holiday last year for my family and I. 2 weeks in Majorca. I had a year to lose weight but, well, didn't get anywhere. Now it's just over a month until we go away and I'm in need to lose as much weight as I can (healthily, of course).

I'm looking to lose a minimum of 14lbs, if it's possible in a month.

The exercise I do is walking to and from work each day, which is aboht 2 miles each way. I'm on my feet all day but even though I try to eat well, I always end up back on junk food.

So, in a nutshell my challenge is to do some serious weight loss in a month.
I'm incredibly concious about my weight and body and don't want to ruin the holiday for my kids by being too nervous to get into the pool.
Losing a good amount of weigbt will boost my confidence, or that's the plan.

So, current weight is 238lbs / 17 stone. I was 14 stone at one point but due to a serious knee injury I piled it back on, but that's a different story.

So, any tips or whatever, greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Many thanks,

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So you won't enjoy your holiday if you're still 238lbs?
  • flopadoo
    Options
    I will enjoy it, I'd just rather lose some weight to feel more confident and do more with my kids.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    14 pounds isn't going to happen in a healthy way. Half of that will be good to shoot for.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to sound rude or harsh, but do you really think that 14 lbs is going to look that much different at this point than what you currently weigh? It's not realistic to lose that in a month.
  • mrsjhardin
    mrsjhardin Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I lost 15lbs in January (weighed 225). I did it through limiting calories to 1200. I increased activity a little but wasn't until February that I added real exercise.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Limit your calories to a minimum of 1200 a day, increase your activity as much as possible and rejoice if that results in an 8-10 lb loss in a month. Buy a new "slimming" bathing suit, a cute cover-up and have a wonderful holiday!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    How tall are you op ? Are you male or female?
    Either way though it just isn't a very realistic goal.
  • flopadoo
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

5ft 11 and Male.

I've read all comments and also looked at it with a more even headed view and I can see how it is a very unrealistic goal.

I'm going to eat clean, do as much as I can with limiting to 1200 a day, see how I get on. Any other advice welcome.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LIMIT TO 1200 A DAY holy *kitten* people stop giving general bad advice. 1500 is the MINIMUM for a male. And thats a male much smaller thn you. 1200 is for a tiny bedridden female. Dont do that. Seriously
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    flopadoo wrote: »

5ft 11 and Male.

I've read all comments and also looked at it with a more even headed view and I can see how it is a very unrealistic goal.

I'm going to eat clean, do as much as I can with limiting to 1200 a day, see how I get on. Any other advice welcome.

You are a male - minimum calories for a male is 1500 calories. Plus you are almost 6 ft tall. You could probably eat 1800 calories and still lose at a more realistic rate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    flopadoo wrote: »

5ft 11 and Male.

Only eating 1200 cals is a really really bad idea.

You'll crash and burn and put it all back on before your holiday if you try a crash diet.
  • flopadoo
    Options
    Okay, I'm listening. I'll bump it to 1500-1600 a day. I've just installed MapMyWalk to see how much I'm walking and what I can improve on.