What is your biggest challenge?

andreaen
andreaen Posts: 365 Member
What are your goals and what are your biggest challenges?

For me, my goal is to put on some more muscle while staying relatively lean.

My biggest challenge is sticking to that goal as I see so many girls with visible abs on instagram and I know I can get there by just dieting for a few weeks, but that would mess with my bulking progress. I find this especially hard with summer coming up, and with being a coach feeling like I need to be super lean for anyone to want to hire me. I am working on it though, and even though I crack at times and start to diet I usually manage to see what I am doing and stop within a few weeks, but it still stalls my progress :disappointed:

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2018
    My goal is to continue bulking this month.. then cut during summer. Really happy with my progress this bulk, feel like I put on a good amount of mass.

My biggest challenge is... Eating more to keep gaining and finding time to get my training in.

OP sometimes you have to keep your eye on the prize, trying to stay super lean and putting on more muscle are usually opposing goals and you will end up spinning your wheels. My advice would be to stay off Instagram or at least don't follow certain people if they are not helping you with your goals. I can post a bunch of old photos of my rockin summer body, but if you saw me now 12 lbs heavier I don't look like that unless I start taking them under great lighting/filters and contort my body strangely, or use photoshop.
    Also I would never hire a coach just because they are super lean with abs. I would hire someone based on their skill, knowledge, experience and personality.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Starting again
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    My goal is to be leaner and to lose approx 7 - 10 lbs.

My challenge is to tighten up on my eating habits. I tend to eat mindlessly which I need to address.

I basically want to be a better version of myself and ensure it's a realistic lifestyle change.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Myself. I keep getting in my own way. Not disciplined enough. Weakness of giving into the flesh.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My biggest challenge is navigating the "food as entertainment" culture, especially with friends and family.
    I am guilty of it also, and have gotten pretty darn good at moderating & withstanding some temptation...but it's harder when I have a lot of social engagements strung together during a few days.
  • andreaen
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My goal is to continue bulking this month.. then cut during summer. Really happy with my progress this bulk, feel like I put on a good amount of mass.

My biggest challenge is... Eating more to keep gaining and finding time to get my training in.

OP sometimes you have to keep your eye on the prize, trying to stay super lean and putting on more muscle are usually opposing goals and you will end up spinning your wheels. My advice would be to stay off Instagram or at least don't follow certain people if they are not helping you with your goals. I can post a bunch of old photos of my rockin summer body, but if you saw me now 12 lbs heavier I don't look like that unless I start taking them under great lighting/filters and contort my body strangely, or use photoshop.
    Also I would never hire a coach just because they are super lean with abs. I would hire someone based on their skill, knowledge, experience and personality.

I really appreciate you saying this, it helps me so much to see other amazing women working to put on weight as well and not just trying to fit into a size 0! Truly, thank you from the bottom of my heart <3
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member

This is an amazing post. Great insight and advice. :)
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member
    My goals are to get stronger, and lose about 12 more pounds. My biggest challenges these days are keeping disciplined with my food, and finding the motivation to keep going.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    andreaen wrote: »

My biggest challenge is sticking to that goal as I see so many girls with visible abs on instagram and I know I can get there by just dieting for a few weeks, but that would mess with my bulking progress. I find this especially hard with summer coming up, and with being a coach feeling like I need to be super lean for anyone to want to hire me. I am working on it though, and even though I crack at times and start to diet I usually manage to see what I am doing and stop within a few weeks, but it still stalls my progress :disappointed:

Goal - I want to lose fat (proportionately I have a lot, altho body weight isn't high), challenge is to look better composition wise.

And I don't know how to do it
  • andreaen
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Goal - I want to lose fat (proportionately I have a lot, altho body weight isn't high), challenge is to look better composition wise.

And I don't know how to do it

If you are skinny-fat, I would recommend trying to keep your weight stable or even gaining a little while starting to do weight training to build some muscle. I Made the mistake of just dieting when I was in your position, and it really just leads to becoming bony and not looking very good at all.
  • eamonmcmanus36
    eamonmcmanus36 Posts: 8 Member
    andreaen wrote: »

Look up a guy on YouTube athleanx loads of videos that may help Your dilema
  • eamonmcmanus36
    eamonmcmanus36 Posts: 8 Member
    I am the opposite I wanna lean out a bit but don't know if I stay at my calorie maintenence can I change composition
  • sardelsa
    I would have to say gaining lean muscle mass. I find it hard to gain weight and the little I gain isn’t usually where I want it.

Unfortunately while you can't chose where fat comes on, you can target certain areas for muscle gain. Are you following a proper lifting program?
  • sardelsa
    I would have to say gaining lean muscle mass. I find it hard to gain weight and the little I gain isn’t usually where I want it.

Unfortunately while you can't chose where fat comes on, you can target certain areas for muscle gain. Are you following a proper lifting program?

Well I think so.

Currently basically I’m doing:
    Day one chest, triceps
    Day two back, biceps, abs
    Day three legs, shoulders
    Day four cardio and abs or break
    Day five chest, triceps
    Day six back, biceps
    Day seven cardio, abs or break

It rotates so shoulders ends up being twice a week every second week. I usually do three to four reps per set with a weight that I can handle for at least 8 reps and no more than 15 reps at a time. I’m currently on a cutting diet so I find it affects my strength.

Are you a beginner? You are probably going to find more success doing a full body or upper/lower split vs a body part split like you are doing. And while you are working most parts 2x per week, you are leaving out a lot with only one leg day per week (very very suboptimal). Is this a program you found online or did you design it?

• sardelsa

Well I think so.

Day one chest, triceps
    Day five chest, triceps
    Day six back, biceps

It rotates so shoulders ends up being twice a week every second week. I usually do three to four reps per set with a weight that I can handle for at least 8 reps and no more than 15 reps at a time. I’m currently on a cutting diet so I find it affects my strength.

Are you a beginner? You are probably going to find more success doing a full body or upper/lower split vs a body part split like you are doing. And while you are working most parts 2x per week, you are leaving out a lot with only one leg day per week (very very suboptimal). Is this a program you found online or did you design it?

No I’m not a beginner nor a professional. It’s been my hobby for the past couple of years. My husband designed our routine based on his needs. Since we enjoy training together he added leg day for my liking. Like many men, he is allergic to leg day. Lol God forbid he wasn’t able to fit in his skinny jeans.

All joking aside, I have been thinking of changing my routine lately to fit more of my own needs. Since I’ve been stuck at this plateau for a while now, it would be nice to add more lean muscle mass. I find as a woman I don’t build muscle the same way he does.

In that case I would highly recommend you follow a progressive program with more frequency, especially if you aren't seeing the results you want. Where are you looking to add muscle and what kind of goals do you have?
  • sardelsa

Well I think so.

Day one chest, triceps
    Day five chest, triceps
    Day six back, biceps

No I’m not a beginner nor a professional. It’s been my hobby for the past couple of years. My husband designed our routine based on his needs. Since we enjoy training together he added leg day for my liking. Like many men, he is allergic to leg day. Lol God forbid he wasn’t able to fit in his skinny jeans.

All joking aside, I have been thinking of changing my routine lately to fit more of my own needs. Since I’ve been stuck at this plateau for a while now, it would be nice to add more lean muscle mass. I find as a woman I don’t build muscle the same way he does.

In that case I would highly recommend you follow a progressive program with more frequency, especially if you aren't seeing the results you want. Where are you looking to add muscle and what kind of goals do you have?

I would have to say a little all over but definitely shoulders and arms.

You definitely want to work shoulders at least 2x per week then (not just twice every other week). Focus not only the front delts but side and back as well.

The thing is for women, building upper body can be slow. The muscles are smaller and they just take a long time to really see progress.. so patience will be key.