5 years of progress

Options
fb47
fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
edited April 2018 in Success Stories
So I am 5'9 and currently 165 lbs. Before 2013, I was a very skinny person. I thought genetically I was screwed and that the gym would be just a waste of time back in my 20's. When I hit 30 years old, I hated how I looked, the skinny arms, small frame...I would be wearing 2 tshirts at the same time in the summer in order to make me look big...which in retrospect was so stupid and silly. Finally, when I was going to celebrate my 30th birthday, I said that I had to make changes in my life. How could I say that genetically I was screwed when I never gave the gym a chance. So in March of 2013 I decided to apply at a gym and promised myself to go to the gym even on days when I didn't feel like it. I also changed my eating habits. At first, I thought eating healthy was the only way to build muscles, but over time I discovered IIFYM (If it fits your macros) and I learned in the process how to lean bulk and cut. The discovery of IIFYM was a big aha moment for me, I couldn't believe you could lose weight while eating your favorite food (I still try to maintain an overall healthy diet, but I didn't restrict any food). Another thing that helped me in the process is reading articles from Mike Matthews and the www.aworkoutroutine.com website. Infact, I still use the workouts to this day from the book I bought on that website. Mind you, there are other workouts that are just as effective as the one I bought from the aworkoutroutine.com, but I really enjoyed that booklet workout programs and the exercises. So here I am 5 years later. Can my body still improve?? Yes, but when I compare today vs what I was 5 years ago, I am much more happier now. What used to be a chore before (going to the gym and meal preparation) is now my passion. Here is the results including pictures of my last bulk and cut.

lds8smrgff8z.jpg

Replies

• MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Great job reminds me of my husbands story he was 5’10 and 125lbs due to stomach issues. He used body for life and weight lifting and I met him at 165.

Keep it up! Kudos!
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great work, same height as you but still some work to do. Very inspiring, thank you
  • fb47
    Options
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Great work, same height as you but still some work to do. Very inspiring, thank you

It's a slow process, but very rewarding.
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    great results. congratulations :)
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Great job! Did you use bulk/cut cycles or simply slow bulk/recomp over that time?
  • fb47
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Great job! Did you use bulk/cut cycles or simply slow bulk/recomp over that time?

I would do lean bulk and cutting cycles. Occasionally I would recomp but it's usually because I stayed too long on a caloric number and my body simply adapted to it (aka it was my new maintenance). You could say I had moments where I was unintentionally at maintenance.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Fantastic transformation. It's amazing to see your body at the exact same weight with such drastic composition changes in the top two photos.
  • fb47
    Options
    Fantastic transformation. It's amazing to see your body at the exact same weight with such drastic composition changes in the top two photos.

I know, it's night and day. But I hated being that lean.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Looking freaking fantastic!
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    good work....i like your story.
  • fb47
    Options
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »

Thanks, I have the opposite problem of most people. Usually people go to mfp, because they want to lose weight, I had the opposite problem. I was undereating without knowing it and doing no resistance training didn't help either. Lucky for me, I changed things around.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

You look good with a little padding. :wink:
  • fb47
    Options

You look good with a little padding. :wink:
    Thanks :) I prefer the padding...and many say the samething, I don't think I will ever go that low in bf again, the first time was more for the challenge.
  • doubleap77
    doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Thanks, I have the opposite problem of most people. Usually people go to mfp, because they want to lose weight, I had the opposite problem. I was undereating without knowing it and doing no resistance training didn't help either. Lucky for me, I changed things around.

Speaking as someone who has started from your place (30, underweight, undereating), it is nice to see this success story.

Nice work, and I hope it continues to inspire those of us who want to gain.
  • fb47
    Options
    doubleap77 wrote: »

Speaking as someone who has started from your place (30, underweight, undereating), it is nice to see this success story.

Nice work, and I hope it continues to inspire those of us who want to gain.

Thanks, we seem to be in the minority. I see most people on mfp having the opposite problem (people who want to lose weight). Either way, both side of the spectrum is not fun.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look great!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! You look great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!