Removing Fat

Options
ap1972
ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
What do you do when logging foods like pork chops and bacon if you remove the fat?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I don’t worry about it too much.
  • ap1972
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I just use the same cals for the item w/o regard for any excess fat removed from meatvor poultry.

This way, the cal estimate should be higher than it actually is, which means I'm eating fewer cals than logged, which means I should be able to continue to lose or maintain weight w/o needing to restrict my diet in other ways

In my experience, it's always easier to increase food intake later, if I'm hungry or losing weight faster than desired (a very rare event), than to try to cut back from eating too much to begin with (which is a much more common occurance).

BUT, exactly why would you remove the fat from bacon?

Bacon is all about the fat and I doubt there would be anything left if you removed it.

If the fat in bacon is a concern, it would be better to just not eat it in the 1st place.

Lol, yeah I don't normally do that with bacon just using it more as an example
  • ap1972
    Options
    The whole idea is absurd. I eat the fat that comes with the meat.

The fat off chops isn't really tasty so I tend to cut most it off
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I never trim bacon. I may trim some of the fatty edges off pork chops, steak, etc, but fat add flavors to your meat.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    If you cut the fat around the pork chop (I don't like it either)...just google "calories in a lean pork chop" and you will find your answer.
  • ap1972
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I never trim bacon. I may trim some of the fatty edges off pork chops, steak, etc, but fat add flavors to your meat.

I always cook with it on but I don't find it tasty itself.
  • ap1972
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    The whole idea is absurd. I eat the fat that comes with the meat.

Some of us don't like the taste of the fat. I don't eat it...never have even before I started to lose weight. It has a good taste but I don't care for the texture. Actually...I don't like full fat anything...I much prefer reduced fat items.

I like full fat foods myself and don't mind fatty meat per se just the fat around pork unless it's cooked crispy.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I prefer to keep the fat on because I eat it. However, I would just weigh it without the fat and use that number. I'll bet other people have more accurate ways though!
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    In theory you could weigh the grams trimmed and estimate 9kcal/gram trimmed (maybe do a conservative estimate to be safe).
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I subtract the cooked weight of the bones and fat I removed from the meat on my plate from the raw weight of the meat I cooked. In other words, my "logged" grams/oz reflect the usda raw weight values minus the g/oz of the bone, fat and gristle I cut away and left on the plate.
  • ap1972
    Options
    Yeah I've weighed the fat so I have a rough idea of the calories saved but I'm guessing it's not always pure fat and there is no way of removing it from an entry. Just adjusting the weight of the chop is not accurate either as the ratio of weight to calories will be wrong plus the loss of protein applied.