How to fit in more protein?

Options
I really struggle to reach my protein goals and find it easy to go past my carb goals. So obviously I need to replace some carbs in my diet with protein. So I’m looking for some suggestions for easy ways to add protein to my diet (preferably without protein shakes). Where do you get your protein?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting now?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Have you changed goals from MFP's default? 20% should be easy to reach. Have some protein rich foods (meat, fish, eggs) as a natural part of each meal. Things like bread, pasta, and milk also provide some protein. Reduce amounts of low-nutrient carby foods like cookies, cake, candy, use less sugar in tea/coffee etc.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Chicken is loaded with protein as is fish. I have no problem hitting protein if i eat a decent size portion of fish or chicken.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I eat 225grams of protein a day and have no trouble getting them in. I am a bit of a meat eater! If you want grain protein, quinoa is one 6 Grams per serving I believe. Most things whole grain are going to have extra protein. Some vegetables do. Spinach, mushrooms etc. There is always Halotop! lol best of luck!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, hard cheese (parmesan, e.g.), greek yogurt, eggs, meat/fish, whole grain in place of more refined grains
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, but I always reach my fat goal first, and never hit the carbs or protein. It's almost impossible for me to find foods which are high in protein and carbs but not in fats. :(
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    reeeggiii wrote: »
    I have a similar problem, but I always reach my fat goal first, and never hit the carbs or protein. It's almost impossible for me to find foods which are high in protein and carbs but not in fats. :(

Chicken and fish are low in fat. I am usually under fat and at protein. There are a lot of protein sources that are lower in fat.
  • aks65
    aks65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For a snack i have found Chef's Cut chicken sticks to supplement protein... it's only 7 grams per stick, but only 1.5g fat. And i've started adding a few egg whites to my scrambled eggs as the yolks have all of the fat basically. good luck, I'm in the same boat -- trying to increase protein, stay relatively low-carb but not eat too much fat.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I prelog my food diary and include protein in each meal, I can easily hit my protein goal. If I don't log it early, at the end of the day I'm woefully under.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Chicken and fish are low in fat. I am usually under fat and at protein. There are a lot of protein sources that are lower in fat.

Yeah well the problem is that you rarely eat them raw, so you need some oil/fat when preparing them.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Yeah well the problem is that you rarely eat them raw, so you need some oil/fat when preparing them.

you can bake it...also...rarely? hope that just means sushi xD
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Turkey breast is really low in fat
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I struggle as well but mainly because of the fruit I eat as snacks and because I find carbs much more satisfying. Couscous is something that I find useful to provide a bit of extra protein to a meal and I've been trying to add some protein rich snacks such as eggs and cheese.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Grill, bake or boil.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm grilled chicken! I don't use any fats for meats... Or at least I can't recall using any additional fats. I eat meat daily and always cooked. I do love sushi though! (It's a rare treat for me)
  • psychod787
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Grill, bake or boil.

Non stick pan and PAM spray.
  • psychod787
    edited April 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I never quite understand this question. The answer is eat less carbs and more protein. You may need lean protein to stay within your calorie goal but otherwise....that's the ticket.

Protein... my favorite macro! The problem IMHO is carbs and fats mixed together make things hyper palatable I.E. an oreo, lean chicken breast, pork, or beef sounds amazing now after 3 years of changing taste buds, but noobies used to high fat, high sugar/ carb foods its hard! I do wonder, why people here ask for advice about hitting targets, rarely have open diaries?