April 2018 Biking Cycling Bicycling Bike/ Bicycle/Unicycle/Tricycle Challenge!

Replies

• jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Rode a hour on the training this morning....

Then 2 hours later rode 84 miles outside, finally a sunny warm day.

Just checked 52 hours for the month

I got 3 real races in two weeks

John
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    jlklem wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Thursday -- 2.5 km run along the beach

Saturday -- 3.2 km run along the beach

Plus lots of walking ... 30.6 km on foot this past week.

Sunday -- First ride since my husband's accident. I wish my husband could have been with me, and for that reason plus the fact that I haven't ridden in a month, it was a difficult ride. But it was a beautiful day, so I psyched myself up and headed out.

Distance: 13.63 km (8.5 miles)
    Elevation: 208 m (682.4 feet)
    Moving Time: 47:01
    Elapsed Time: 49:28
    Speed: Avg: 17.4 km/h | Max: 39.2 km/h

What happened to your husband? Is he mending well, I hope?

J

Work injury ... severe brain injury. We're a month in ... very slow progress.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    All my thoughts go to you.
  • Ardael
    WEEK III
    Recap : only two spins. We organised a pop up Charity Cycle and that took all my time and energy. Back to it next week.

WEEK IV
    Sun : 15km - 50min -> Epic KOM on Zwift ( including warm up )
  • jlklem

Sunday -- First ride since my husband's accident. I wish my husband could have been with me, and for that reason plus the fact that I haven't ridden in a month, it was a difficult ride. But it was a beautiful day, so I psyched myself up and headed out.

J

Terrible very sorry to hear that. Brain injury’s are slow to heal...my son had one. But they do. Faith is needed. Lots of faith.
  • jlklem
    Ardael wrote: »
    WEEK III
    Recap : only two spins. We organised a pop up Charity Cycle and that took all my time and energy. Back to it next week.

WEEK IV

Did you do the new mountain on Zwift? Or the one that’s been out for a year or so. The new mountain is a monster. It takes a few pro cyclists I know 40 minutes of all out riding to get up that one.

J
  • Ardael
    WEEK III

WEEK IV
    Mon : 34.6km - 1h -> TT intervals on Zwift

Yes I've done it twice. Took me about 1h30 the last time. It's gruelling but worth it ^^
    Have you done it?

• jlklem
    WEEK III

WEEK IV

Yes I've done it twice. Took me about 1h30 the last time. It's gruelling but worth it ^^
    Have you done it?

I’ve done it three times. Once the day it came out in like 60. Then tried riding it at tempo...got 49 on 4 watts per kilo. Then raced in the tour of Watopia ...I think it was stage 4 or 5. I think I got up it in 43...4.6-7 watts per kilo. I think I was 7th place that day. My training partner went up it in 41...he’s a monster 4.88. I would love to ride the real mountain it’s modeled after.

Have you done the Watopia tour? It’s been pretty fun. I missed the first stage so I need to make it up this weekend. It’s weird but i almost like Zwift as much as outside. I supposes that’s what happens when you ride 10-15000 miles a year. You done every road in a 100 mile circle around your hours (500 times).

John
  • Ardael
    I did it the day it came out as well just to try it, a bit of a shock to the body really. My second time was as part of the Tour of Watopia on Stage 3. I'm quite new to this but I did it in 2.4w/kg. I've been struggling to keep my power up with all the weight I've lost this winter but it's coming back now that I've slowed down on the dieting.

I had a busy time so I could only manage Stage 1 and 3 fully. I started Stage 7 but I was interrupted so I left it at that. It's just a huge time commitment for me at the moment. I did the Women's week back in March though.

I can't get out much because of my kids so this was the perfect alternative. And the roads of rural Ireland can be quite a scary place for a small lone cyclist as well :) my husband would totally agree with you, there isn't a centimetre he hasn't covered around us. He knows names of places that aren't on any maps XD
  • jlklem
    So it was stage 3...they all blur together. If you want to get power back try racing. It’s so hard but they work fast at building power. Trying the Ds, first, that is what my wife did. Now she can hang in the C. Makes time fly by as it requires so much attention.

So weird to think you are in Ireland. The road here are amazing, but our winters are awful. Seriously awful.

First group ride this evening, we will see how it goes.

John
  • Ardael
    WEEK IV
    Tue : 16km - 29m19 -> Local TT League

Today is good ! First time I go under the 30min mark for a 16km ( 10mile) TT and with nasty crosswinds too :)

You know what John, you're right. When I started Zwift I put the races out in the filters for events and completely forgot they were even there... hum...
    My racing season is starting tomorrow though, we'll see how that goes !
  • jlklem
    So I did 5 miles and then my Di2 battery died. Rode home in the small ring. Plugged in the bike and did a Zwift race while it charged. Got third. Pretty happy with that considering I raced yesterday. My lower body hurts right now.

58 hours for the month.
  • Ardael
    WEEK IV
    Tue : 16km - 29m19 -> Local TT League
    Wed : 19km - 42m -> Track racing including warm ups and cool downs

First day of Track racing this year.
    5th in the Scratch
    3rd in the Win and Out
    3rd in the 500meters dash

Happy
  • jlklem
    Nice work!
  • Machka9
    Was planning a lot more, but sometimes life really gets in the way ...

2017 Monthly April
    Walking Distance (km): 105.6
    Walking Time (min): 1319.4
    Cycling Distance (km): 33.9
    Cycling Time (min): 107.0
    Stairs Climbed Number: 101.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 80.8

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 139.4
    Total Distance (miles): 86.6
    Total Time (min): 1507.2
    Total Time (hr): 25:07:10
  • Machka9

J

Terrible very sorry to hear that. Brain injury’s are slow to heal...my son had one. But they do. Faith is needed. Lots of faith.
    All my thoughts go to you.

Thanks!

Yes ... very, very slow. But there is progress.

• huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member

J

Sorry to hear that Machka9. Prayers and strength to you and your husband!
  • huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Weather finally more spring like around here!

6.5 mile local singletrack ride yesterday on my new mountain bike. No goals this month besides actually being able to get out and ride!

ty88c6rc9so8.jpeg
    zlmppp92ffqt.jpeg
  • Machka9
    Sunday -- 

Today is an anniversary ... today celebrates 28 years of "serious" cycling. "Serious" meaning cycling actively, intently, regularly, purposefully, etc., of course. On April 29, 1990, I decided I was going to start cycling regularly. My first ride was 2 miles, and I had to take a break after the first mile. Cycling has taken me all over the world, and has given me a whole new life I would never have imagined.

Distance: 20.17km
    Elevation:  313m
    Moving Time: 1:10:13
    Elapsed Time    1:11:24 
    Speed: Avg:  17.2km/h | Max:   37.1km/h

• lar25473
    lar25473 Posts: 183 Member
    I'd like to know when you make a May thread for this!