Crohns Disease Comeback

Hello all. My name is Michael and I have Crohns Disease. It’s a disease of the intestine. Basically your intestines get really inflamed and it becomes very difficult to maintain weight. I’m 32, most of my 20’s was spent fighting for my life. It has almost taken me twice. I currently have a temporary ileostomy bag. New medications have come out and the one I’m trying now has stabilized me. I’ve slowly working out in the gym again. I have an opportunity to crawl out of this hole. This is a very scary thing for me. I’m constantly plagued by night terrors or very strong and intense dreams. It’s a form of PTSD. Im 6’1 and currently weigh 166lbs. I’m trying to get to 185lbs. Looking to throw a line out and connect with other people that are trying to gain weight. I know I can increase my chance for success if I don’t do this alone. So send me a message about your journey, tips you’ve picked up along the way, what worked for you and what didn’t. It would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    MF12519 wrote: »
    Hello all. My name is Michael and I have Crohns Disease. It’s a disease of the intestine. Basically your intestines get really inflamed and it becomes very difficult to maintain weight. I’m 32, most of my 20’s was spent fighting for my life. It has almost taken me twice. I currently have a temporary ileostomy bag. New medications have come out and the one I’m trying now has stabilized me. I’ve slowly working out in the gym again. I have an opportunity to crawl out of this hole. This is a very scary thing for me. I’m constantly plagued by night terrors or very strong and intense dreams. It’s a form of PTSD. Im 6’1 and currently weigh 166lbs. I’m trying to get to 185lbs. Looking to throw a line out and connect with other people that are trying to gain weight. I know I can increase my chance for success if I don’t do this alone. So send me a message about your journey, tips you’ve picked up along the way, what worked for you and what didn’t. It would be much appreciated :)

Hi I'm a crohnie as well though complicated with gastroparesis so 2 disease that make eating difficult. I had a total proctocolectomy and permanent ileostomy.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    MF12519 wrote: »

Wow, what a fighter you are. I wish you all the best on your journey x
  • aklrn
    aklrn Posts: 20 Member
    I feel you man. Also Crohns over here but haven't been really sick since my early 20s (40 now). So hard to gain when you can't handle eating.

Take care!
  • mtharding123
    mtharding123 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Michael - I'm also Michael and also have Crohn's. Diagnosed in my early 20's, now 53 - typical pattern of flare ups and remissions. Sorry to hear about the ileostomy. I've been lucky enough to avoid that but have had surgery 4 times now. Since the last time in May 2017 have had chronic diarrhea which made putting weight on a nightmare until a few weeks ago when I turned a corner. Breakthrough for me was food combining - I eat much the same as I always did but have either protein meals or carb meals. I've also just got a juicer which is a great way of getting calories and nutrients without the bulk. Seems to be working now. Can you tolerate milk? If so, try double strength milkshake - make as normal but then mix in skimmed milk powder - twice of everything. Anyway, good luck with it all. p.s. what is new medication?