Losing drive need focus

Options
How do you focus and stay on track with no hiccups along the way?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have to find a track with fewer roots and rocks? Healthy living makes you feel well. If you build good habits, you just need some effort and awareness every day to make it go around; "a healthy lifestyle" shouldn't have to be on your mind 24/7.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hiccups are a part of life. As long as you know how to get over them in the moment, and expect that it may be more work and a little uncomfortable, you will be fine.
  • ffswmn
    ffswmn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the little hiccups. I had a pretty big hiccup yesterday and feel disgusting today. Made me remember how bad I felt the night before I started MFP so I am focused again.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As everyone says, they happen, and the clue isn't avoiding them but getting BACK on track. Whenever I have a client who is struggling I try to keep motivate her as often as possible with little messages and cheering her on, so maybe finding an accountability partner could be a good idea? For myself I've been in this game for so long I just accept that it happened and move on. Last night is a perfect example, I was planning on having just a small spoonful of icecream before bed and ended up eating the whole box. Today I was back to normal and following my normal diet and training.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My rule is accepting hiccups but not allowing a hiccup more than one day in a row. I have a hiccup and then right back at it the next day. I don't dwell on it too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

There's always hiccups... but you keep your eyes on the prize and be as consistent as possible.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think that forgiving yourself for small errors, and the ability to 'get back on the horse' the next day, are both really important skills to learn. Try not to beat yourself up over mistakes. Things like allowing yourself to eat at maintenance (or having cheat days), having occasional indulgences in treat foods which you might not usually eat, and going for a short walk instead of the gym on days you aren't feeling up to it - these are all really useful tools that help you to stay on track when you feel like falling off the wagon. I think that @crazykatlady820 's advice is really good.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,560 Member
    Options
    I'm hiccupping worse than bugs bunny does when he's "drunk". But, even though it's a bit of a trudge as opposed to clear sailing, I refuse to give up.

I've had some setbacks. Emotional. Physical. But I'm on my way back. I'm lifting heavy again, decided on a goal to compete, and am trying to convince myself that I care enough about my weight to stay logging again.

It's not always going to be pretty... But it doesn't mean it can't be done. Just keep swimming.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    As many above have said, dealing with hiccups is the whole show. I try not to let myself get judgy over a bad day or even a bad week. I get back to it as soon and well as I can and I know that my choice to get back to what works for me, is PRACTICE in coming back after a hiccup.

I don't think I will ever stop having hiccups; I think I will get quicker and smoother and less bothered about coming back to the core stuff that works.
  • itisidaisy
    itisidaisy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think it’s impossible not to run into any hiccups. I try my best to stay focused on my weight loss goals, but sometimes I eat more than I should. All you can do is learn from your mistakes, not beat yourself up over them, and move on. If you’ve gained weight, look at why you’ve gained the weight and try to do better next time.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

There's no such thing as "no hiccups along the way".

The best analogy I've seen is comparing it to a two-week cross country vacation. If you get a flat tire on the second day, do you call the whole thing a failure, cancel the entire vacation and head back home with your tail between your legs? Or do you fix the problem, continue on with your original plans and have a great time as intended?