Son joining military workout advice

Options
gearhead426hemi
gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
edited April 2018 in Chit-Chat
My son is going to be a senior in H.S. next year and told me he today he wants to join the Air Force when he graduates. He wants me to help train him for his PT test. I am super proud of him for taking the initiative so I will be restructuring my workouts and diet more to help him starting today. Super excited to have my son be my workout partner. Anyone else out there have kids recently join? Just looking for anyone who has already done this for some pointers. I want to push him but not over do it. I currently run a couple days a week and do a lot of body weight workouts so I just plan on having him jump right in with me.

Replies

• GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding out what he will need to do to pass the PT Test and compare where he is now versus the requirements and build a workout routine around that.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    First, Don't show up to basic with a pony tail, or a military cut. Slightly shaggy bowl or "boys regular" will draw the least attention.
    Second, Don't finish the runs first or last. Don't Puke and don't pass the instructors. Don't be obvious about sandbagging either. Don't max pushups or situps the first go. Instructors don't like showoffs.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2905/afi36-2905.pdf

For training program.

C25k

For Strength 3-5 times a day do 25-35 Each pushups and crunches. Review the Regulation to confirm form.

• xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, I'd look for the requirements for passing physical tests. Focus on that (it's Air Force, so not that difficult compared to Marines or others). Beyond that, I'd focus on overall general conditioning.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There is the PT, then there is actually getting through basic.

Pull the requirements and see how he currently compares. Retest once a month. Look for a tough mudder style run in your area sometime between now and his graduation and put together a team (a fun goal to work towards). Use the tough mudder (or similar) boot camp recommendations for training, as they often have some unique body weight activities to challenge some of the balancing/stabilizing muscles (ie, slippery mountain climbers). And run, run, run.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

That's the truth, and if you show up as the pretty boy who's running 7 min mile and doing 100 pushups in a row, they'll find some other way to make your life unpleasant and test your will and commitment.

• armymil87
    armymil87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

That's the truth, and if you show up as the pretty boy who's running 7 min mile and doing 100 pushups in a row, they'll find some other way to make your life unpleasant and test your will and commitment.

Honestly, if his son wants to strive for excellence then he has every right too. Everyone always say to not stand out, but my opinion on that is different. I always expect all my Soldiers to strive for excellence. And when they do they become great leaders. Every Drill Sergeant/Instructor will always test each military personnel’s will and commitment regardless of what amount of effort you put into Basic Training. The efforts and hard work you put in today will depict the type of character and leader you will become in the future.

• makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    read up on their APFT standards and also do these www.armyprt.com/preparation_and_recovery/index.shtml
    do the preparation drill, strength and mobility, and special conditioning drills 5 days a week. Not sure if they actually implemented pull ups, dead lifts, and weight throwing exercises into the APFT but this should give him a good idea of what every morning will be like.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It's the Air Force
    ..... he'll be fine

And don't do the stupid army PRT crap.

Start running. Basic overall strength.
  • DeeBrown173
    DeeBrown173 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My son is going to be a senior in H.S. next year and told me he today he wants to join the Air Force when he graduates. He wants me to help train him for his PT test. I am super proud of him for taking the initiative so I will be restructuring my workouts and diet more to help him starting today. Super excited to have my son be my workout partner. Anyone else out there have kids recently join? Just looking for anyone who has already done this for some pointers. I want to push him but not over do it. I currently run a couple days a week and do a lot of body weight workouts so I just plan on having him jump right in with me.

The most important thing he can work on now is CONDITIONING. That should be primary and since you do body weight workouts then that’s perfect. Just work to do as many push ups and sit ups as possible. In the Army the standards are a little different. So find out what the max is for the 2 mile run, push-ups, sit-ups and I think they do pull-ups as well and make that his goal
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the Air Force PFT requirements are, but I know that when I went through Marine Corps Basic Training it was hard, but everyone made it eventually. If he wants it, he will make it. Not sure weight training will be as beneficial as cardio before he goes in. I would assume push ups, sit ups and running would be the best training before boot camp.
  • Josh_Friedman
    Josh_Friedman Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The Air Force PT Test is a pretty straightforward 1.5 mile run, push ups, and situps. The only nuance to Air Force PT is that abdominal circumference is a graded event ,but as long as your waist measurement is around 32-34 inches, it's no problem. I would have him run 3 miles, 3x a week, shooting for 7:30 miles or better. 3x a week, do 3 sets of push ups till failure, followed by alternating flutter kicks for 1 minute, then 1 minute plank, and so forth. You could also mix in some burpees, dips, and air squats on running days to mix it up. It's also a good idea to learn good form now...practice proper lunges where your knees never go past your toes and get I
    good stretching habits. There are no weights in boot camp, so expect alot of body weight exercises.