Experienced toners and body builder advice only Request

Options
l4dy0nyx
l4dy0nyx Posts: 45 Member
I am trying to work on my lower abs and my inner thighs, the rest of my body is fine. I lift heavy for the last 4 years now which seems to work however, I no longer want to focus on my upper body to burn fat in these areas too much but my dilemma is that lifting heavy will make you want to eat more while eating less will help you tone up... it's very difficult for me especially when I'm trying to do things like cut out sugar ( it puts fat where I don't want it i.e., and and inner thighs) and the carbs, rice, POTATOES AND PASTA.

I've been told about the 250 calorie deficit and just deficit eating anyway, but it seems to not be working... especially if I workout during the day ( something else I have changed due to circumstances). I'm used to lifting at night and my body seems to burn fat faster that way.

I'M just tired of the ripples in my inner thighs when I take off my workout clothes and the extra skin on my lower core. I need this to be tighten up and gone atleast by the fall.

Any other help or suggestions from those who are actually toned and Cut up and who actually know the struggle of these problem areas?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you cannot spot reduce. I love my upper body and would love to not lose fat there, but fat comes off where it comes off based on genetics. So "focusing on burning fat in certain areas" does not exist.

What you can do is maintain your muscle mass in certain areas by lifting weights with progressive overload and getting adequate protein, essentially telling your body "hold on to this muscle, we need it!" while you lose the bodyfat eating in a deficit.

When you say the deficit isn't working, are you tracking calories (weighing and measuring everything everyday?). I highly recommend you start tracking for best results. You don't burn faster if you workout day or night, however you may find your workout performance better at certain times of the day which can help (not sure if that is what you meant).

I have bulked and cut many times, it can be a struggle once you reach a very low bodyfat%. Not sure what your stats are or how much you want to lose, but once you get below 20% bodyfat and ultra lean it can be tough to get there and to maintain.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    also eating potatos/pasta isn't going to affect you building lean muscle or toning your thighs/abs....
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    In addition to the advice above, you could also keep building muscle in your legs and abs. Because we can't choose where we lose fat, it's possible that you would need to have a really shredded upper body to get the definition you are hoping for in your legs and abs.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you cannot spot reduce. I love my upper body and would love to not lose fat there, but fat comes off where it comes off based on genetics. So "focusing on burning fat in certain areas" does not exist.

What you can do is maintain your muscle mass in certain areas by lifting weights with progressive overload and getting adequate protein, essentially telling your body "hold on to this muscle, we need it!" while you lose the bodyfat eating in a deficit.

When you say the deficit isn't working, are you tracking calories (weighing and measuring everything everyday?). I highly recommend you start tracking for best results. You don't burn faster if you workout day or night, however you may find your workout performance better at certain times of the day which can help (not sure if that is what you meant).

I have bulked and cut many times, it can be a struggle once you reach a very low bodyfat%. Not sure what your stats are or how much you want to lose, but once you get below 20% bodyfat and ultra lean it can be tough to get there and to maintain.
    I have the same issue, my legs carry the most fat. Even when I am super lean, my legs still has that leg fat. The only thing I can do is train my legs as usual until I build enough muscle to hopefully some day see some definition there.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    l4dy0nyx wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Awesome... do you know how I can find out my body fat percentage?

I'm going to be honest I don't track my bodyfat % so I am not super familiar with the methods, getting a trainer to take caliper readings and DEXA scans are probably the best ways (but also can be pricey). Scales and online calculators aren't very accurate but they can give you a baseline and show a trend.

What I do is compare myself to online photos to get an idea, and go from there.
This discussion has been closed.