Protein Shakes

Options
Gngr09
Gngr09 Posts: 743 Member
I have been doing the protein shakes diet for about 3 weeks now, I can tell a huge different in my appetite and (haven't stepped on a scale yet) but I think I've lost quite a few lbs.
My question is: This app tells me that I need to consume 1200 calories, but for the life of me - I can't even consume that many. I have been averaging 700-900 a day and it keeps telling me that's not enough. I know alot of people will say "don't complain about that" but I need to know if I should making myself eat more of if this is beneficial to my weight loss?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The minimum you should consume would be 1200 calories a day. With your current plan are you under the care of a physician?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat more. Eating so little is really unhealthy.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    What is the protein shakes diet? What are you eating and how are you measuring your portions? Unless you are under 5' and completely sedentary, if you are truly full on less than 1000 cals either you are eating more than you think or there is something physically wrong that requires a doctor's visit.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    jvanelli wrote: »
    I have been doing the protein shakes diet for about 3 weeks now, I can tell a huge different in my appetite and (haven't stepped on a scale yet) but I think I've lost quite a few lbs.
    My question is: This app tells me that I need to consume 1200 calories, but for the life of me - I can't even consume that many. I have been averaging 700-900 a day and it keeps telling me that's not enough. I know alot of people will say "don't complain about that" but I need to know if I should making myself eat more of if this is beneficial to my weight loss?

Absolutely eat more. I'm sorry but there is no way meeting 1200cal a day is difficult unless you're recovering from illness or surgery of some kind.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    What is the protein shakes diet? What are you eating and how are you measuring your portions? Unless you are under 5' and completely sedentary, if you are full on less than 1000 cals either you are eating more than you think or there is something physically wrong that requires a doctor's visit.

My thoughts exactly! I've never heard of the protein shakes diet either, and yes, if you can't eat more than that there has to be something wrong. My best guess would also be that you are eating more than you think though, that is very common.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    when you say you cant eat more than 1000 calories ,it makes one wonder then how was it possible you gained enough weight to need to lose it? its not meant to be rude or offensive either.just an observation.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take a guess here... I believe she means she only drinks protein shakes, all day, everyday. If that's the case, then yes, it could be a little bit of a challenge to consume 1200 in protein shakes. I know they make me feel full even when there's only about 400-600 calories in mine.

Nevertheless, sharing everyone's concern; that amount of calories per day isn't the best for your health long term.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    OP, yes you need to eat more. The Protein Shake diet is not and was not meant to be sustainable. It is a crash diet. To see real success, weigh and measure your food, log consistently, and be ready for this to take some time. Please get off the crash diet roller coaster.
  • Gngr09
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You should be eating *at least* 1,200 calories. Not for weight loss, but for your health. You can't meet your nutritional needs on 700-900 calories a day and it's just not enough for your body to function. You're putting yourself at risk for losing muscle unnecessarily, as well as problems with your hair, nails, low energy, or even things like gall bladder problems.

If you can't eat more, then it's a sign you've cut too many foods out of your diet. Are you only consuming protein shakes?

No, I have been doing a shake for breakfast and then lunch, then a sensible meal (if I am hungry) - but on Monday and Wednesdays I have been doing an extra shake around 5 - because I head straight to workout class and don't have time to eat.
  • Gngr09
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    The minimum you should consume would be 1200 calories a day. With your current plan are you under the care of a physician?

no not right now. but I work for health care company and I plan on going in tomorrow morning to weight and talk to them about what I am doing.
  • Gngr09
    Options
    What is the protein shakes diet? What are you eating and how are you measuring your portions? Unless you are under 5' and completely sedentary, if you are truly full on less than 1000 cals either you are eating more than you think or there is something physically wrong that requires a doctor's visit.

I am 5' 3" and last weighed 186 - about a month ago. Seeing Dr. tomorrow to talk about plan. I would eat more but I just am NOT hungry since I have been working out and doing the protein shakes.
  • Gngr09
    Options
    when you say you cant eat more than 1000 calories ,it makes one wonder then how was it possible you gained enough weight to need to lose it? its not meant to be rude or offensive either.just an observation.

Because of the protein shakes I believe. I used to just eat like it was no one elses business. now I am just not hungry most of the time.
  • Wordrioter
    Wordrioter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did something similar under the supervision of physicians- it was a year long study done by Kansas University Medical Center and used "HMR" (brand name) weight loss shakes. It involved weekly meetings, monthly check ups and other tests. (Body fat scan for example). The program I was on was only 500 calories a day. That lasted 3 months. After that "other food" (similar to Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem entrees) plus fresh fruits and veggies were added to the plan over the next 6 months, and the last 3 months was back to everyday foods, no shakes, no diet entrees. Lost about 90 pounds over 18 months. ANYWAY you definitely need to have medical supervision if you are eating <1200 calories a day. This can wreck havoc on your kidneys and your immune system if you are not careful. Medical supervision is important because you are technically with so few calories (700-900/day) in a phase of starvation. Yes, I lost a lot of weight, BUT because the study did not address the underlying non-medical reasons for my obesity, or even suggest I might benefit from the help of mental health therapists, it was not a lasting weight loss. Only counseling could help me with that. So now I'm depending on a FitBit to remind me to MOVE and a 1200 calorie a day food plan. Oh, I'm 66, been riding the weight roller coaster since I was old enough to recognize I was too fat - about 10 years old. Have been at a "normal" adult weight twice in my life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I am 5' 3" and last weighed 186 - about a month ago. Seeing Dr. tomorrow to talk about plan. I would eat more but I just am NOT hungry since I have been working out and doing the protein shakes.

So drop a protein shake and eat a more calorie dense meal instead?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You should be eating *at least* 1,200 calories. Not for weight loss, but for your health. You can't meet your nutritional needs on 700-900 calories a day and it's just not enough for your body to function. You're putting yourself at risk for losing muscle unnecessarily, as well as problems with your hair, nails, low energy, or even things like gall bladder problems.

If you can't eat more, then it's a sign you've cut too many foods out of your diet. Are you only consuming protein shakes?

No, I have been doing a shake for breakfast and then lunch, then a sensible meal (if I am hungry) - but on Monday and Wednesdays I have been doing an extra shake around 5 - because I head straight to workout class and don't have time to eat.

My general advice whenever someone realizes that the amount of a certain food they are eating is keeping them from meeting their nutritional needs: eat less of that food. I would replace one of your shakes with a meal that got you to your calorie goal.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

no not right now. but I work for health care company and I plan on going in tomorrow morning to weight and talk to them about what I am doing.

VLCD diets should only be performed under the care of a qualified physician. Even on the protein powder/shake packages it recommends against what you are doing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Because of the protein shakes I believe. I used to just eat like it was no one elses business. now I am just not hungry most of the time.

I would do what janejellyroll said and a few others. find other sources of protein than a shake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are relatively low in calories. A protein shake isn't a meal replacement...it doesn't have the other necessary nutrition that you need. A protein shake is intended to supplement protein intake, not replace a meal. Eat food.
  • Gngr09
    Options
    Good news! I have lost 12 lbs in the last two weeks since my last weigh in on March 19th! Super excited and motivated more than ever!